It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 11:41 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
I don't know if they have these for other English-majority countries, but if nothing else, it's an interesting look at dialects in the United States.

It nailed me, by the way: Had me located in Washington State, in either Seattle, Tacoma, or Spokane (I grew up in Spokane).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013 ... 0102010400


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Redwolf wrote:
I don't know if they have these for other English-majority countries, but if nothing else, it's an interesting look at dialects in the United States.

It nailed me, by the way: Had me located in Washington State, in either Seattle, Tacoma, or Spokane (I grew up in Spokane).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013 ... 0102010400
An-suimiúil! For the first question, many Irish people say 'ye' - not an option here! :mrgreen:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 6:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 30 Aug 2011 1:50 am
Posts: 122
Right on for me too. Came up with Chicago, Rockford and Aurora. I was born in Chicago.

_________________
I am only a beginner. Please get confirmation before using any of my suggestions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 02 Sep 2011 11:31 pm
Posts: 249
Location: Navasota, Texas USA
It said I was from Houston, Texas / Jackson, Mississippi / or Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I was born and raised in Houston but it didn't say which side of town I'm from (they're all a little different :LOL:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 29 Jun 2013 6:33 pm
Posts: 25
Yonkers, Jersey City and New York came up for me.
I watch too many American tv shows and I now have the proof of it.
Have to rush now and watch Law and Order: Criminal Intent now! (my favourite)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 7:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Saoirse wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
I don't know if they have these for other English-majority countries, but if nothing else, it's an interesting look at dialects in the United States.

It nailed me, by the way: Had me located in Washington State, in either Seattle, Tacoma, or Spokane (I grew up in Spokane).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013 ... 0102010400
An-suimiúil! For the first question, many Irish people say 'ye' - not an option here! :mrgreen:


Yeah...closest we'd get in the U.S., I think, is "youse."

I grew up saying "you guys," so that's what I put, but having lived in North Carolina for 10 years, I'm as likely to say "y'all" anymore. It's a lot handier, in this day and age, than "you guys," as people from outside the region tend to think of "guys" as a purely masculine term.

One they didn't ask, which surprised me, is "what do you call carbonated soft drinks?" I grew up saying "pop," but after having lived most of my adult life in California, I say "soda."

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
I got - New York, Providence, Yonkers.
Even though I answered mostly with "I don't have a word for that".

Maybe it's the large Irish population in New England that has influenced the pronunciation of certain words there. We taught them to speak properly. :LOL:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 26 Dec 2013 10:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
I came up with Atlanta and Washington DC. I was born in the DC area and grew up or went to school in Virginia, Florida, and Alabama. Some of the choices for parts of the South are just flat out wrong, though, unless what people say has changed a lot since I grew up (I've been in California for over 30 years now, so that's quite possible).

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 3:36 am
Posts: 247
I think my mish-mash of dialects caused the poor program to blow a fuse. It came up with Fremont, San Jose, and Honolulu.

_________________
賢いふくろぐま Image
Seans Eile - free software to help you practice your Irish
Scéala na Wombait - Muddle-headed Memes and Musings


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 12:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
I think some of the questions may change each time. For example, I got "what do you call the sometimes grassy area in the middle of the road?" ("median" in my case), whereas a friend of mine got "what do you call the sometimes grassy area between the sidewalk and the road?" ("verge" in my case). I also got a question about freeway verses highway, which I don't remember from the last time I took this test.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1219 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group