It is currently Fri 02 Oct 2026 9:40 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013 4:28 pm
Posts: 9
I’ve had some much appreciated help on a tattoo translation and hoping to make things final for my appointment this Saturday. I’ve been working on the words, design, fonts, etc. for a few months now and grateful to all who’ve helped me so far and especially for any confirmation in the next couple of days.

With this board suggestion:

IMPORTANT: Wait for three to agree before using your translation on a tattoo or anything else that is permanent!

I hoping to see if any agrees with what I've got or say I should go with what others have suggested.


What I have right now is:

Is é an mac taisce i gcroí athar ádhúil

As a literal translation of:

[A] son is the treasure in a lucky father's heart


Other suggestions have been:

Is é an mac taisce chroí don athair ámharach

Is é an mac an taisce chroí don athair ámharach

Is taisce é an mac chroí don athair ámharach

Is taisce chroí don athar ámharach é an mac

taisce chroí don athair ámharach

an taisce chroí don athair ámharach


Any thoughts on whether my suggested “Is é an mac taisce i gcroí athar ádhúil.” is good to go?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Jul 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 329
I recommend you to get the 1961 version of Teach Yourself Irish, and work your way through gradually. Don't skip the exercises.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013 3:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
patrickjwalsh wrote:
I recommend you to get the 1961 version of Teach Yourself Irish, and work your way through gradually. Don't skip the exercises.
That is very, very good advice – heh, heh :winkgrin:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 10 Nov 2013 4:28 pm
Posts: 9
דאַנק פֿאַר פּאָליאַנע אַרויף ווו איר ניטאָ קומענדיק פון פּאַטריק ... כע, כע.
Dʼanq p̄ʼar ṗʼályʼanʻ ʼarwyp www ʼyr nytʼá qwmʻndyq pwn ṗʼatryq... Kʻ, kʻ.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 14 Nov 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Hi. I've locked this topic to avoid confusion. Forum policy is to keep all requests for confirmation in the original thread, which is here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2557&p=22995

This makes it easier for the translators to review all of the background discussion about the translation without having to refer to multiple threads. :wave:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1495 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group