Thanks very much, everyone for the help on this. I didn't realize there was a whole thread on The Hobbit because I normally don't pay attention to the listing and just come here to post. Sorry about that. LOL Thanks Bríd Mhór and Saoirse for pointing it out and providing the link for easy access.

Redwolf, thanks for the literal translation. I guess I was confused about the
a bhí ann part of the relative clause but should I see that as reading
that was there either in English, as in
It wasn't a dry, bare, sandy hole that was there either, without anything in it to eat or to sit down on; it was a hobbit hole, and that equals comfort.?
Basically, my goal here is to get through at least the first chapter, if not more of them, and to take sentences and swap out nouns, adjectives, etc. to practice constructing grammatically correct sentences and build my vocabulary. So perhaps for this sentence, I might try switching it up as
Níor pholl tirim, dorcha, gainmheach a bhí ann ach an oiread, gan aon rud ann le n-ól ná le léamh; poll hobaid ab ea é agus is ionann sin agus compord. to get
It wasn't a dry, dark, sandy hole either, without anything in it to drink or to read; it was a hobbit hole, and that equals comfort. Plus I love the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. LOL Anyhow, of course, if you guys have any other suggestions to practice, that's cool too.

Again, much appreciated, everyone.