It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 12:11 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 11 Mar 2013 5:19 am
Posts: 56
Sin é an fear a raibh mé ag léamh ina seomra leapa. means That is the man in whose bedroom I was reading. and the indirect relative should be used here, correct?

Also, how would we write/translate That is the man in whose son's bedroom I was reading?

I am sure I will never need to say these things but just curious how the language works.

Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013 6:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Sin é an fear a raibh mé ag léamh ina sHeomra leapa.

right but an H is missing "a sheomra" = his bedroom.

Quote:
Also, how would we write/translate That is the man in whose son's bedroom I was reading?


Sin é an fear a raibh mé ag léamh i seomra (leapa) a mhic.

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
Lughaidh wrote:

Sin é an fear a raibh mé ag léamh i seomra (leapa) a mhic.


That looks fine to me.

Try this one..

Sin é an fear a dúirt mé a shíl mé a bhínn ag léamh i seomra a mhic.

I'm burned out after that and I'm not at all sure if it's right... :darklaugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Sep 2013 11:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
Sin é an fear a dúirt mé a shíl mé a bhínn ag léamh i seomra a mhic.


I think we should have an indirect relative somewhere here :mrgreen:

in Ó Siadhail's 'Modern Irish', you can find such sentences:

An fear a dúirt tú a shíl tú a chonaic tú (D)
Seo an áit as a gceaptar a dtáinig bunadh an Uachtaráin Reagan (D)
An t-ór seo ar chreid corrdhuine go rabh sé ann (D)

Do we need to put an indirect relative everywhere? like:

Sin é an fear a dúirt mé ar shíl mé a mbínn ag léamh i seomra a mhic. ???

not sure at all... :(

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 11 Mar 2013 5:19 am
Posts: 56
Thanks, Lughaidh. I wasn't sure whether the s in seomra resisted lenition here or not. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 1:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 11 Mar 2013 5:19 am
Posts: 56
Is mbínn the eclipsed form of bhínn (past habitual)? Still new to Irish here.

And is this supposed to mean something along the lines of That's the guy who I said I thought I used to read in his son's (bed)room? / That's the guy who I said I thought I was reading (habitually) in his son's (bed)room? *BRAIN FRIED* Arg. Lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 716
asenion wrote:
Is mbínn the eclipsed form of bhínn (past habitual)? Still new to Irish here.

And is this supposed to mean something along the lines of That's the guy who I said I thought I used to read in his son's (bed)room? / That's the guy who I said I thought I was reading (habitually) in his son's (bed)room? *BRAIN FRIED* Arg. Lol


I think bhínn 's a typo for bhíonn: ...the man I said I thought is (habitually) reading in his son's room.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 3:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Jul 2013 2:31 am
Posts: 329
asenion wrote:
Is mbínn the eclipsed form of bhínn (past habitual)? Still new to Irish here.

And is this supposed to mean something along the lines of That's the guy who I said I thought I used to read in his son's (bed)room? / That's the guy who I said I thought I was reading (habitually) in his son's (bed)room? *BRAIN FRIED* Arg. Lol



It means: that's the man in whose son's bedroom I thought I used to read


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 4:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 716
patrickjwalsh wrote:
asenion wrote:
Is mbínn the eclipsed form of bhínn (past habitual)? Still new to Irish here.

And is this supposed to mean something along the lines of That's the guy who I said I thought I used to read in his son's (bed)room? / That's the guy who I said I thought I was reading (habitually) in his son's (bed)room? *BRAIN FRIED* Arg. Lol



It means: that's the man in whose son's bedroom I thought I used to read


Well, in that case it should be mbínn, not bhínn.

I was being charitable to Macboo suggesting a typo rather than a grammar mistake :mrgreen:, though that interpretation of mine wouldn't fit the pattern of arsenion's original sentence anyway.


Last edited by Errigal on Mon 16 Sep 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Sep 2013 4:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 11 Mar 2013 5:19 am
Posts: 56
Thanks, Patrick. Totally forgot about the son part. lol


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1343 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group