It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 9:37 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2013 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
An interesting video about original pronunciation of Shakespeare's writing. In particular here where it shows that the 17th pronunciation of "film/philome" has the same pronunciation that current Hiberno-English has. I know not the usual meaning of "film" today but still the same source word.

http://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s?t=4m28s

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep 2013 12:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Bríd Mhór wrote:
An interesting video about original pronunciation of Shakespeare's writing. In particular here where it shows that the 17th pronunciation of "film/philome" has the same pronunciation that current Hiberno-English has. I know not the usual meaning of "film" today but still the same source word.

http://youtu.be/gPlpphT7n9s?t=4m28s


I just finished watching this clip, and I was struck by the same thing! Really cool clip, by the way.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep 2013 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
There are also some interesting changes that have occurred in traditional Irish songs sung in English, such as Arthur McBride, where you have to make "sword", "word" and "afford" all rhyme in succession. If you try to sing these words in "standard" English, they end up not rhyming.

Another challenge is deciding from the context whether "quay" was meant to rhyme with "key" or "day", for example. I still haven't quite worked out how to make "daughter" rhyme with "laughter", however. :LOL:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep 2013 8:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Watched it earlier today, very interesting indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2013 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Breandán wrote:
There are also some interesting changes that have occurred in traditional Irish songs sung in English, such as Arthur McBride, where you have to make "sword", "word" and "afford" all rhyme in succession. If you try to sing these words in "standard" English, they end up not rhyming.

Another challenge is deciding from the context whether "quay" was meant to rhyme with "key" or "day", for example. I still haven't quite worked out how to make "daughter" rhyme with "laughter", however. :LOL:


I'm guessing they were originally pronounced something like "dochtur" and "lochtur."

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
In the song 'Johnny Jump-up' sea rhymes with grey, just as tea does - (in Irish as well as Irish English).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2013 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Redwolf wrote:
Breandán wrote:
There are also some interesting changes that have occurred in traditional Irish songs sung in English, such as Arthur McBride, where you have to make "sword", "word" and "afford" all rhyme in succession. If you try to sing these words in "standard" English, they end up not rhyming.

Another challenge is deciding from the context whether "quay" was meant to rhyme with "key" or "day", for example. I still haven't quite worked out how to make "daughter" rhyme with "laughter", however. :LOL:


I'm guessing they were originally pronounced something like "dochtur" and "lochtur."

Redwolf

:yes: (I meant to say "without reverting to Anglo-Saxon and losing the audience completely. :LOL:)

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1205 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group