It is currently Tue 06 Oct 2026 3:19 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013 7:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I never heard before that it was foisted on us officially.

Was the spelling of your first name changed to Bríd to conform to the "official" spelling?

I'm just curious to know if your parents had originally named you Brighid. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013 8:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I never heard before that it was foisted on us officially.

Was the spelling of your first name changed to Bríd to conform to the "official" spelling?

I'm just curious to know if your parents had originally named you Brighid. :)


It's only my personal usage and observation. :D

Yes, I started life as Brighid Ní Fhlaithbheartaigh. (puncs instead of Hs)

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Bríd Mhór wrote:
It's only my personal usage and observation. :D

Yes, I started life as Brighid Ní Fhlaithbheartaigh. (puncs instead of Hs)

I know what you mean. For some strange reason, my parents didn't name me "The Wee Falorie Man". :dhera:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
It's only my personal usage and observation. :D

Yes, I started life as Brighid Ní Fhlaithbheartaigh. (puncs instead of Hs)

I know what you mean. For some strange reason, my parents didn't name me "The Wee Falorie Man". :dhera:

:LOL:

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013 12:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Bríd Mhór wrote:
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
It's only my personal usage and observation. :D

Yes, I started life as Brighid Ní Fhlaithbheartaigh. (puncs instead of Hs)

I know what you mean. For some strange reason, my parents didn't name me "The Wee Falorie Man". :dhera:

:LOL:

I wonder if they were ever tempted to name you WTF man? :winkgrin:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013 2:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Breandán wrote:
I wonder if they were ever tempted to name you WTF man?
heh, heh – :darklaugh:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013 10:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 27 May 2013 9:39 am
Posts: 10
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Both words have been around for a good while in English.
Perhaps, but it's hard to find any evidence of "Gaelic" ever having been commonly used as the English name of the language in Ireland.
An Lon Dubh wrote:
A good amount of people outside the country, both in other English speaking countries and on continental Europe know it is as "Gaelic"
Indeed. But I'm not sure that really tells us much. In recent centuries, for understandable reasons, the outside world's view of Ireland has largely been filtered through British eyes (news reports on Ireland are normally filed by London-based correspondents for example) and it seems likely that the other countries simply followed British practice. Older continental sources have "Irish" rather than "Gaelic". For example, in Madame Putiphar, an 1839 French novel with an Irish theme, the characters speak "irlandois".
An Lon Dubh wrote:
I mean it's just a word
Yes, but words are rarely just words.
An Lon Dubh wrote:
I don't think most people mean to be offensive when they use it
Of course.
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Is there a particular reason you are concerned with its usage.
I'm interested in this kind of thing - word histories, language myths and their origins, and in particular this business of exonyms/endonyms.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Oct 2011 12:03 am
Posts: 231
The essays on paper one of the Gaelic exam were grand today :^+:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Rossaí wrote:
The essays on paper one of the Gaelic exam were grand today :^+:
Do you think they knew they were studying Gaelic? :twisted:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013 11:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Oct 2011 12:03 am
Posts: 231
:D :D :prof: Nah...we call it An Ghaoluinn


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1084 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group