It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 6:03 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Fri 17 Jan 2014 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
RobertKaucher wrote:
I think the one you and I are talking about Brendan is this

Image

which has the raised diacratic and the fishhook that represents the tapped sound and palatized superscript j. It's not clear to me though, that the j is required as I believe that is covered by the raised diacratic as well...

I think the r in dúirt (the only buzzy r in the Doegen recording reviewed by Jay Bee above) is actually a broad version of this. A following consonant makes the slender r broad, but it still has a different quality from the clear flap.

So the superscript j makes sense for the slender version.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 2:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Breandán wrote:
There are examples in one of my posts above of the "buzzy" slender r. :dhera:

Yes, indeed! :good:

I have been thinking and in total there are eight r's in West Munster (on Sunday I'll check for the Déise dialect).

For broad R:

1.(a) A velarised tap, a tap like the Spanish r, but with the back of your tongue raised.
1.(b) A velarised trill, like Spanish rr, but with the back of your tongue raised.

These are used when broad r is in the middle or end of a word. Either one can be used, or both.

2. A velarised alveolar frictive. Like the buzz sound slender r is famous for, but with the back of the tongue raised, not the front, i.e. there is a "buzzy" broad r, but it only happens at the beginning of words.

3. An unvoiced version of 1., used whenever broad r stands next to th.

For slender R:

1. A palatalised tap, same as 1.(a) for broad r but with the front of the tongue raised.

2. A palatalised alveolar frictive. The "famous" slender r and the one you have on your recording.

3. An unvoiced version of 1, used when next to th.

4. An unvoiced version of 2, used when next to th.

Quote:
I seem to recall one of the older members of our forum (or the old forum) - I think he was a Munster speaker - making a comment that when he was a young boy only women ever used the "buzzy r", never men. He seemed to be lamenting that it had become "the fashion" nowadays for men to use it as well. :rolleyes:

That doesn't sound right to me, Peadar Ua Laoghaire had the buzzing sound and Amhlaoibh Ó Luínse, born in 1839 and the 1870s respectively.

In Conamara, from listening to recordings, although as I said I'm poor at distinguishing sounds, I don't think you have the second version (2.) of broad r.

I'll do a bit more reading and come back with the Déise info and recordings of each of the r's.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 5:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
I think the r in dúirt (the only buzzy r in the Doegen recording reviewed by Jay Bee above) is actually a broad version of this. A following consonant makes the slender r broad, but it still has a different quality from the clear flap.


not all consonants make a slender r broad:
those who do are t, d, n, l

the others don't

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sat 18 Jan 2014 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Lughaidh wrote:
Quote:
I think the r in dúirt (the only buzzy r in the Doegen recording reviewed by Jay Bee above) is actually a broad version of this. A following consonant makes the slender r broad, but it still has a different quality from the clear flap.


not all consonants make a slender r broad:
those who do are t, d, n, l

the others don't

:wave: Thanks for that clarification, a Lughaidh.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014 3:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 26 Dec 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 155
You guys are all completely blowing my mind. It's a true pleasure to be able to geek out like this and learn so much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014 7:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Lughaidh wrote:
not all consonants make a slender r broad:
those who do are t, d, n, l
Slender r plus coronal consonant =broad r


An Lon Dubh wrote:
Actually where did you learn it? I only pieced it together from listening to people and a short comment in the Irish of WestMuskerry. I used to think /r/ was simply a tap, until I met a few people who always thrill it or only sometimes do. Brian Ó Cuív mentions that the thrill is an allophone for /r/ and I only know from personal conversation that this comes from /R/ historically. If you have a reference that explains it that's be great, because the R's really confuse me!
I've most of the phonology books by print, photocopy or in digital format plus I've been reading forums for years.

To add something more broad to this discussion, Celtic, I read, had fortis and lenis consonants (a bit like Italian today) and in Irish l, n and r were able to keep the distinction. r is more variable as a sound, so, I suppose it changed in where you would see it strong or weak more so than say n which seems to be more stable.

For example, AFIK, since Old Irish was usually stress initial, l or n would be strong at the beginning but weak in the middle or end (ex: /L'a:n/) and rather due to assimilation ('land' -->'lann') and morphology ('pógann') you would get the fortis consonant in other positions.

We see for r, tho, in the Dialect of Donegal book, mention of r only being a single tap at the beginning, but sometimes trilled in the middle and end and not the other way round (trilled initially and tapped elsewhere as you might expect from generalisation from the l/n data). An example of the old /R/ vs. /r/ difference is viewable in 'fear' and 'fearr' which I guess were [ɸ'æɾ] and [ɸ'ær] as opposed to [ɸ'æɾ] and [ɸʲɑ:ɾ] today (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't mind)


I, myself, if I were suggesting a 'learner's dialect' and wanted to be symmetric, would follow the strong initial, weak medial and final except for minimal pairs and morphological considerations, for no other reason that it would be easy to remember and do

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014 12:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Thanks JayBee! :good:

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014 2:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
We see for r, tho, in the Dialect of Donegal book,


you mean that about Meenawania by Quiggin?

Quote:
mention of r only being a single tap at the beginning, but sometimes trilled in the middle and end and not the other way round (trilled initially and tapped elsewhere as you might expect from generalisation from the l/n data).


historically (and may be kept in the speech of some older speakers?), initial non-lenited R and eclipsed R was trilled ; lenited R was only a tap.
Written rr (middle and final) was trilled, as well as r before d, t, n, l (broad or slender).

Quote:
An example of the old /R/ vs. /r/ difference is viewable in 'fear' and 'fearr' which I guess were [ɸ'æɾ] and [ɸ'ær] as opposed to [ɸ'æɾ] and [ɸʲɑ:ɾ] today (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't mind)


Gaoth Dobhair, as far as I know:
fear [ɸʲaɾ]
fearr [ɸʲɛːɾ] (because historically it is feárr and stressed á is normally æː or ɛː in northern Donegal)
I guess most people would have a one-tap r in both (and in general for all broad r's) but in the first place (and maybe still in the speech of older speakers) the rr of fearr would be trilled.

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Sun 19 Jan 2014 3:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Lughaidh wrote:
you mean that about Meenawania by Quiggin?


Yes; I didn't give the name directly as it's hard to spell

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Slender r
PostPosted: Mon 20 Jan 2014 1:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~danhall ... sammy.html

This is helpful for learning about sounds and terms

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1597 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group