pennyrat wrote:
It's nice to see that you can make a joke and stereotype out of something that may be very personal to someone else. You have no idea what someone has gone through in their lives. So what if they want to ("scar" as you put it) something onto their body?
Sorry, but most tattoos do actually result in scarring. Techniques have improved, and a really good tattooist may not cause any noticeable scarring, but most people who are heavily inked will be able to point out a mixture of deep scarring and surface scarring on their bodies.
Quote:
You don't see me posting negative comments on those threads.
... and you don't see me posting negative comments in tattoo threads. And more to the point, this is not a tattoo thread. There are plenty of places where such people
would become the butt of a joke in their own threads, but this doesn't happen here. So a few of us decided to blow off a little steam in this thread... so what?
Quote:
One thing that hasn't been duplicated, however, is the friendly banter and actual 'relationships' that were made over there. It was actually fun to log on and read the good natured ribbing and joking that went on. Here, it's just about pointing out peoples mistakes, my dialect is better than yours, I'm right and you're wrong.
Welcome to the post-Facebook internet-- seriously, it's not "this forum" vs "the old one", it's every forum now vs 5 years ago, because when forums were our habitual online hangouts, posting was as much about socialising as information exchange whereas now we socialise on Facebook and go to forums purely to discuss information.
Quote:
Who cares why people want 'this or that' translated?
Anyone offering a translation should. Help given unquestioningly can be no help at all. On another forum, someone was asking for a tattoo translation to commemorate her dead baby. One forum member decided to engage in a brief dialogue, and then pointed out that one of her best friends was a grief counsellor and that standard advice is never to make any permanent decisions within the first year after bereavement. I seem to recall that the other woman took it quite well, but of course there are many instances where questions have been answered with "none of your business, just give me a translation," which obviously didn't work out too well for the requester...
I've helped people with translations in the past (although not in Irish, cos I barely know any), but only when I've known it's going to be used in a way where any mistakes are acceptable -- I don't do headstones and I don't do tattoos.