It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 4:11 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Redwolf wrote:
An Mhaighdean Mhara


There is a famous Connemara Hooker with that name.
http://www.galwayhookerassociation.ie/d ... tentID=599

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6056/6348 ... 36d0_b.jpg


There is a myth that the Ó Conghaile (Conneelys) family came from the seals. Because of that the older fishermen never wanted to harm seals.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Hmmm … I wonder if it's okay to give your boat the same name as another boat – or is that bad etiquette?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Hmmm … I wonder if it's okay to give your boat the same name as another boat – or is that bad etiquette?


I'm sure it would be ok. They won't be sailing together. :D

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Hmmm … I wonder if it's okay to give your boat the same name as another boat – or is that bad etiquette?
I certainly don't think there should be any other Saoirses out there. Indeed, I have heard people say one is more than enough. I'm not sure they meant it in a good way....... :mrgreen:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Here's An Mhaighdean Mhara in sean-chló as well:

An Ṁaiġdean Ṁara

Using the dots will give you more room. ;)


PS: The best cure for information overload is a good nap. :D

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 11:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I'm sure it would be ok. They won't be sailing together. :D
I suppose you're right. As long as they don't meet somewhere on the high seas, it should be okay. :)

Saoirse wrote:
I certainly don't think there should be any other Saoirses out there. Indeed, I have heard people say one is more than enough. I'm not sure they meant it in a good way....... :mrgreen:
Sure, they must have meant it in a good way – How could they not have?! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Saoirse wrote:I certainly don't think there should be any other Saoirses out there. Indeed, I have heard people say one is more than enough. I'm not sure they meant it in a good way....... Sure, they must have meant it in a good way – How could they not have?!
8-) My guess is that it could be something to do with my interrupting high-brow discussions with stuff like this......

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jan 2014 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I'm sure it would be ok. They won't be sailing together.

You could sink one of them in a race

Bríd Mhór wrote:
There is a famous Connemara Hooker with that name.

There's lots of them in Galway, hoho!

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jan 2014 12:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Quote:
In English, boats are sometimes called "The Something", but more often just "Something", making Something into a name rater than a description.
The phrase 'An Mhaighdeán Mhara' is already definite


Quote:
Most of the folks who have researched "The Soul Cages" have come to the conclusion that T. Crofton Croker just made it up and do not consider it to be genuine folklore. Just letting you know what I've read – I'm not meaning to start a debate about the merit of "The Soul Cages" as folklore. 
Anything off a site like 'Sacred Texts' would be very suspect. Also any research done by 'folks' wouldn't sound too reliable


Quote:
As an aside, the merrow/selkie legends are almost certainly why sailors once thought that manatees were "mermaids"...they figured that they were a North American type of seal, and if they could only get them out of the water, they'd turn into beautiful women!
You'd have a job getting them out of the water, and they'd make for savage big women

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Boat Name
PostPosted: Tue 28 Jan 2014 1:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Saoirse wrote:
8-) My guess is that it could be something to do with my interrupting high-brow discussions with stuff like this......
Hah, they should be thanking you!

Jay Bee wrote:
Anything off a site like 'Sacred Texts' would be very suspect. Also any research done by 'folks' wouldn't sound too reliable
Sacred Texts is a good on-line source for older stuff. As for saying "folks": I think franc is pretty well versed in folklore and doesn't really need me to elaborate on this. I was just letting him know that that particular story is known to be an invention of T. Crofton Croker himself rather than genuine folklore.

* edit: By the way, Columbus reported spotting 3 mermaids (which must have been manatees) when he came to the New World. He said something like: "They were not as pretty as they are painted, though to some extent they had a human appearance in the face …" [paraphrasing from memory]


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1447 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group