asenion wrote:
1. I see what you mean about needing a form of raibh. So where you used "a rabhais", you could similarly use "a raibh tú" in the "Standardized Irish" way or whatever it is called, right?
2. You had written "ar an réalt san a rabhais...". Was that supposed to be "sin" and not "san"? Sorry, I am still new to the language so I was confusing it with the preposition i + the definite article at first.
Yes, certainly,
rabhais = raibh tú.
San is used in Munster in place of
sin after words with a broad ending.
Quote:
3. I am guessing that "mar gheall ar" is essentially another way of saying about / in regards to, etc.
That's right. Although
ar would probably be better here, as
mar gheall ar is closer in meaning to
conerning or
regarding, rather than
about, so
it might be a little clunkier sounding, but I have heard it from native speakers in exactly this type of sentence.
Lughaidh:
Isn't "na réalta" the singular genitive form of "réalta" with the definite article? Anyhow, I got that form from Wiktionary. Perhaps Wiktionary is incorrect though. Not sure but that site lists "na réaltaí" as the plural genitive form with the definite article included.
Quote:
1. Cad é an t-ainm atá ar an réalta a raibh tú ag caint fúithi aréir?
This would be correct in Standard Irish, also Conamara Irish, I think (Bríd?).
Quote:
2. Cad é an t-ainm atá ar an réalta a rabhais ag caint uirthi aréir?
This sentence uses Munster grammar, but has
an t-ainm, which is feminine in Munster, so I would
say:
Cad é an ainm atá ar an réiltín a rabhais ag caint uirthi aréir?Réiltín, although masculine is one of a few words, like
bád, that is referred to as if feminine.
Quote:
3. Cad é an ainm atá ar an réalta a rabhais ag caint mar gheall uirthi aréir? (feminine ainm use here instead)
This is fine also.