It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 1:14 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
39. Cén fáth ar sheol sé litir chuig Máire an uair sin ná aon uair eile

No confidence, but running out of ideas and time!


Cén fáth ar sheol sé litir chuig Máire an uair sin thar aon uair eile?

Thats what I would think.


And I would think you're right! ...although I was thinking of seachas.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012 12:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Scooby wrote:
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
39. Cén fáth ar sheol sé litir chuig Máire an uair sin ná aon uair eile

No confidence, but running out of ideas and time!


Cén fáth ar sheol sé litir chuig Máire an uair sin thar aon uair eile?

Thats what I would think.


And I would think you're right! ...although I was thinking of seachas.


Seachas would definitely work as well!

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Scooby wrote:
An Cionnfhaolach wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
39. Cén fáth ar sheol sé litir chuig Máire an uair sin ná aon uair eile

No confidence, but running out of ideas and time!


Cén fáth ar sheol sé litir chuig Máire an uair sin thar aon uair eile?

Thats what I would think.


And I would think you're right! ...although I was thinking of seachas.


Seachas would definitely work as well!


Exactly what I was going to suggest! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 11:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
40. D’imigh an carr ______ smacht ______ choinne agus d’imigh sé ______ bhóthar.
40. D’imigh an carr as smacht gan choinne agus d’imigh sé den bhóthar.

'gan choinne' is new to me, but seems useful.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 12:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
coinne = appointment, or even a 'date' with someone.

Gan choinne = without expectation / unexpectedly.

It's usually ó smacht.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Scooby wrote:
It's usually ó smacht.
I have always used 'as smacht'; I presume that is o.k. too?

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Saoirse wrote:
Scooby wrote:
It's usually ó smacht.
I have always used 'as smacht'; I presume that is o.k. too?


I wouldn't say so. But wait for other opinions. That's the reason I asked the question! A direct translation might suggest as smacht would be correct but that is Béarlachas AFAIK. FGB says ó smacht but I expect I'll be told by other posters that in west Kerry or Waterford or wherever they say something else!

Let's just say that in standard Irish it's ó smacht.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Scooby wrote:

I wouldn't say so. But wait for other opinions. That's the reason I asked the question! A direct translation might suggest as smacht would be correct but that is Béarlachas AFAIK. FGB says ó smacht but I expect I'll be told by other posters that in west Kerry or Waterford or wherever they say something else!

Let's just say that in standard Irish it's ó smacht.


:yes: :LOL:, as smacht is perfectible acceptable in Munster and would be usually used here.

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Ó smacht in Connemara for "out of control" as far as I know. I can't find any documented examples of as smacht in Tobar, etc., only ó smacht.

On the other hand, the opposite is faoi smacht "under control", but I wouldn't call that faoi Béarlachas any more than I would the Japanese 〜の下に (〜のもとに) "under", which is used in the same way.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2012 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Actually, I am now wondering if I simply misheard it and then misused it. If said fast, 'as smacht' and 'ó smacht' would not sound too different - in the middle of a conversation. God only knows what other damage I am doing to the language. :facepalm:

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 28  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1288 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group