It is currently Sun 04 Oct 2026 5:26 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov 2011 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
They say "gur chuas" in Cork, I didn't actually notice that they use the present particles in the past
in Kerry,


Not everybody uses them, it may depend on the age of the person, I don't know. I just know both do exist in Corca Dhuibhne because I read it in books about that dialect (written by a native speaker). Ní chuas féinig go Corca Dhuibhne riamh go dtí seo :)

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 9:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
Hi All,

Was just wondering if ye could clear this up for me. In Kerry which of the synthetic verb forms are actually in use.

http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm?i.htm

Ive used some and people look at me funny and ay you don't use that and then other times people seem to use some of these forms from what i can make out and I'm fairly confused as to which ones are never used, which ones are sometimes used ( and why only sometimes ) and which ones are always used inKerry.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Dáithí Mac Giolla. wrote:
Ive used some and people look at me funny and ay you don't use that and then other times people seem to use some of these forms from what i can make out and I'm fairly confused as to which ones are never used, which ones are sometimes used ( and why only sometimes ) and which ones are always used inKerry.

:??: Where in Kerry did you use them?

Basically all of the synthetic forms are used, except for -air in the present for the second person.
Glanann tú, instead of Glanair. In addition to that the second person plural forms are not in any tense
except the imperative and the past:
Glanann sibh, not Glantaí.
Ghlanadh sibh, not Ghlantaí.
Glanfaidh sibh, not Glanfaidh.
(I've only seen this very rarely in literature).

I use all of them, except the ones above and I haven't gotten funny
looks (or maybe I did and didn't notice it!) that's why I'm surprised.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
In Corca Dhuibhne, id expect funny looks in any other part of Kerry for any sort of irish .

But it was definitely the -air in the present for second person I used , which the person helpfully and kindly corrected , which I appreciated. But also made me question if I had got the whole thing wrong.

My Irish is still very basic, halting and slow, most the time i look like a gold fish, glazed eyes and mouth opening and shutting with no clear purpose. getting fundamentals like this wrong just exasperates the gold fish look.

So apart from 2nd person present , i should just stick to sibh for second person plurals , and happily synthesize the rest to my hearts content ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
Quote:
So apart from 2nd person present , i should just stick to sibh for second person plurals , and happily synthesize the rest to my hearts content ?

That's pretty much it. However you can use the synthetic form for the 2nd person plural in the past and imperative.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 15 Sep 2011 12:06 pm
Posts: 2436
Quote:
However you can use the synthetic form for the 2nd person plural in the past and imperative.


actually for the imperative you have no choice, all Irish dialects use the synthetic form (-igí/-ígí endings in Ulster and Connachta, -idh/-ídh in Munster)

_________________
Is fearr Gaeilg na Gaeltaċta ná Gaeilg ar biṫ eile
Agus is í Gaeilg Ġaoṫ Doḃair is binne
:)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
-idh/-ídh in Munster in Munster for the imperative is what i will come across or is more traditional ?

Does anyone know of any good audio files where I can listen to example of Munster conjugations ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
A very good resource:

http://corkirish.wordpress.com/verb-conjugation/

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
God how did i miss that, thought id been all over that site. Thanks An Lon Dubh


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013 12:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
Lughaidh wrote:
Quote:
However you can use the synthetic form for the 2nd person plural in the past and imperative.


actually for the imperative you have no choice, all Irish dialects use the synthetic form (-igí/-ígí endings in Ulster and Connachta, -idh/-ídh in Munster)


Funny enough, igí and ígí in Ring also.

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1259 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group