It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 11:06 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
...which suggest another approach: I'm (tá) not "Gaelach", I'm (is) a Gael.

_________________
A language belongs to its native speakers, and when you speak it, you are a guest in their homes.
If you are not a good guest, you have no right to complain about receiving poor hospitality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 5:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
NiallBeag wrote:
...which suggest another approach: I'm (tá) not "Gaelach", I'm (is) a Gael.


I think I might be inclined to flip that on its head. As I'm reading the English, it doesn't so much matter to the poster that he's Irish ethnically (even though he may well be), but that Irishness defines who he his.

It really is a challenge to translate directly. Perhaps something like:

Is cuma nach bhfuil fuil Ghaelach agam; tá croí/anam Gaelach agam: It doesn't matter if I have Irish blood; I have an Irish heart/soul.

(not 100% sure of the grammar in that sentence, though)

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1557 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group