It is currently Thu 01 Oct 2026 9:15 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 07 Feb 2014 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Braoin wrote:
I would also agree with
Tar slán abhaile
for
'come home safe' (to one person)
and then no harm to mention:
Tagaigí slán abhaile
'come home safe' (to more than one person)

or the very commonly said:
Slán abhaile
'safe home!'

and
Go dté tú slán
'may you go safely' or 'may you be safe as you go' (to one person)
and no harm to mention:
Go dté sibh slán
'may ye go safely' or 'may ye be safe as ye go' (to more than one person)


As we mentioned earlier, though, one would usually say "Slán abhaile" to someone who is leaving you to go home (home presumably not being the place he is currently leaving)...not to someone who is leaving home and who you hope will come back safely at the end of the day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 5:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Go dTé Tú Slán is the prettiest as a) it looks the nicest in the sean-Chló and b) using the subjunctive involves wish fulfillment

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 2:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 05 Feb 2014 6:33 pm
Posts: 4
Thank you so much for everyone's wisdom and thoughts! I really appreciate it! I ended up going with Go dte tu slan! I thought it was the best fit for the context that I wanted and I am very pleased with the way it came out! Thank you all again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Did you put the fadaí on the vowels? Go dTé Tú Slán

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Jay Bee wrote:
Did you put the fadaí on the vowels? Go dTé Tú Slán


Important point. Those words are misspelled, kinnesaj, without those accent marks, so I hope you remembered them in your tattoo.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 5:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 05 Feb 2014 6:33 pm
Posts: 4
I did, I just didn't type them that way in my thank you note.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 5:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
kinnesaj wrote:
I did, I just didn't type them that way in my thank you note.


Whew! You had us scared there for a moment! :good:

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 10:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
(It's easier to put one in afterwards than to have to take out one that was added by mistake. ;) )

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Breandán wrote:
(It's easier to put one in afterwards than to have to take out one that was added by mistake. ;) )


There is that! :yes:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1916 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group