It is currently Fri 02 Oct 2026 7:43 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
ThomasX wrote:
An unrelated question:

In order to post an avatar, send messages, etc., do we have to have a minimum post count or some minimum time on the forum?
I tried to find a way to contact an administrator/moderator with this question, but was (obviously) unsuccessful.

Thanks again, folks.


Yes...I can't remember how many posts it is you need to have (I want to say six, but I'm not certain) before you can post private messages, edit your own posts, etc.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 6:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Oh yeah, there's one thing that I forgot to mention:
There is a very short course called "Pimsleur Irish" that has no grammar and absolutely nothing in writing. The good thing about Pimsleur is that it forces you to actually start speaking the language. It's amazing how much you will learn from those 8 little lessons. In the 7 years that I've been learning the Irish language, I've learnt a lot and forgotten a lot, but I've never forgotten ANYTHING that I learnt from Pimsleur! Another good thing about them is that they use exactly the same dialect that is used in Teach Yourself Irish – well, one of the speakers is from Kerry, so there is a slight (very slight) difference in her dialect.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Understand- ... leur+Irish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu 30 Jan 2014 3:38 am
Posts: 25
Location: Boise, Idaho, USA
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Oh yeah, there's one thing that I forgot to mention:
There is a very short course called "Pimsleur Irish" that has no grammar and absolutely nothing in writing. The good thing about Pimsleur is that it forces you to actually start speaking the language. It's amazing how much you will learn from those 8 little lessons. In the 7 years that I've been learning the Irish language, I've learnt a lot and forgotten a lot, but I've never forgotten ANYTHING that I learnt from Pimsleur! Another good thing about them is that they use exactly the same dialect that is used in Teach Yourself Irish – well, one of the speakers is from Kerry, so there is a slight (very slight) difference in her dialect.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Understand- ... leur+Irish


Nice! Thank you. This site has been an awesome resource. :toast:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 7:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Oh yeah, there's one thing that I forgot to mention:
There is a very short course called "Pimsleur Irish" that has no grammar and absolutely nothing in writing. The good thing about Pimsleur is that it forces you to actually start speaking the language. It's amazing how much you will learn from those 8 little lessons. In the 7 years that I've been learning the Irish language, I've learnt a lot and forgotten a lot, but I've never forgotten ANYTHING that I learnt from Pimsleur! Another good thing about them is that they use exactly the same dialect that is used in Teach Yourself Irish – well, one of the speakers is from Kerry, so there is a slight (very slight) difference in her dialect.

Here's a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Understand- ... leur+Irish


Pimsleur makes a good starter, but you'll want to be aware that it's Munster Irish, and one thing that might confuse you, since they don't explain it, is that they call the language "Gaeliunn" (sp?) rather than "Gaeilge," and it has its own genitive form. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you're not aware of it, it could throw you for a loop.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu 30 Jan 2014 3:38 am
Posts: 25
Location: Boise, Idaho, USA
I just caught that. :) I downloaded the free sample lesson and noticed they pronounced/spelled Gaelige different. Is it best to stick with one dialect until I am more familiar with the language?
The only problem I have with the Pimsleur method is that I cannot see the words they are pronouncing. That can be a problem for me as I need to see it to correctly decipher the word/sound structure.
Maybe I should just fly over to Ireland, lose my passport and get lost somewhere over there.... :LOL:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Redwolf wrote:
Pimsleur makes a good starter, but you'll want to be aware that it's Munster Irish, and one thing that might confuse you, since they don't explain it, is that they call the language "Gaeliunn" (sp?) rather than "Gaeilge," and it has its own genitive form. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but if you're not aware of it, it could throw you for a loop.

The book that ThomasX is using now, Teach Yourself Irish also refers to the language as Gaolainn (although they use the spelling Gaeilge), so that shouldn't be a problem at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 7:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
ThomasX wrote:
I just caught that. I downloaded the free sample lesson and noticed they pronounced/spelled Gaelige different. Is it best to stick with one dialect until I am more familiar with the language?
I personally think it's better to learn one dialect; for me, it's too confusing to learn 3 different ways of saying things (at least, until you get more advanced) – that's how I learnt English anyway.
ThomasX wrote:
The only problem I have with the Pimsleur method is that I cannot see the words they are pronouncing. That can be a problem for me as I need to see it to correctly decipher the word/sound structure.

Here is a link with all the words in Pimsleur Irish:
http://www.gaeilge.org/pimsleurtranscript.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
ThomasX wrote:
I just caught that. :) I downloaded the free sample lesson and noticed they pronounced/spelled Gaelige different. Is it best to stick with one dialect until I am more familiar with the language?
The only problem I have with the Pimsleur method is that I cannot see the words they are pronouncing. That can be a problem for me as I need to see it to correctly decipher the word/sound structure.
Maybe I should just fly over to Ireland, lose my passport and get lost somewhere over there.... :LOL:


I actually consider that a major failing of Pimsleur. The Pimsleur programs were originally designed to give businessmen basic functionality in a language so they could get around, order meals, etc., overseas. Consequently, it doesn't give you any grammar or any exposure to the written language. It's OK if you're using it in conjunction with other materials, but it's not so hot on its own.

I don't think you necessarily need to stick with one dialect so long as you're aware that there are differences. MOST of the differences are relatively minor (think of English as spoken in Texas vs. English as spoken in New York), but occasionally you'll get one that's a little less obvious, and when it's something as significant as the name of the language, it's something you want to know right up front.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 11:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu 30 Jan 2014 3:38 am
Posts: 25
Location: Boise, Idaho, USA
Redwolf wrote:

I don't think you necessarily need to stick with one dialect so long as you're aware that there are differences. MOST of the differences are relatively minor (think of English as spoken in Texas vs. English as spoken in New York),...

Redwolf


Hopefully, as you say, the dialects will be more similar than the ones we have here in The States. If you had a non-English speaking person and let them listen to a conversation between two middle class housewives from Maine and then had them listen to a conversation between two "urban" youth on a street corner in West Oakland, California, the non-English speaker would think they had heard two different languages! :S


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 01 Feb 2014 11:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
ThomasX wrote:
Redwolf wrote:

I don't think you necessarily need to stick with one dialect so long as you're aware that there are differences. MOST of the differences are relatively minor (think of English as spoken in Texas vs. English as spoken in New York),...

Redwolf


Hopefully, as you say, the dialects will be more similar than the ones we have here in The States. If you had a non-English speaking person and let them listen to a conversation between two middle class housewives from Maine and then had them listen to a conversation between two "urban" youth on a street corner in West Oakland, California, the non-English speaker would think they had heard two different languages! :S


It's really not a huge deal. When I was in Ireland this past summer, I had people in my classes from all over Ireland (and two of my housemates were from Cork)...we all managed to understand one another. It's more just something to be aware of.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1387 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group