It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 5:49 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
mhwombat wrote:
I think my mish-mash of dialects caused the poor program to blow a fuse. It came up with Fremont, San Jose, and Honolulu.


Honolulu? That's stellar!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 2:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Wow, this test is brilliant! It figured out that I am from Alburquerque, New Mexico :O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 3:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 25 Apr 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 30
I got Worcester, Boston, and Providence. So, pretty much dead-on. And it didn't even have any questions about the use of the word 'wicked'.

_________________
Roibeard


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 4:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon 05 Sep 2011 1:45 am
Posts: 267
Jersey City, Yonkers and New York. Been to JC twice, Yonkers about a dozen times. Born and raised NYC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 27 Dec 2013 10:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri 30 Sep 2011 10:08 pm
Posts: 1313
I think I caused it to blow a fuse like mhwombat, I got Honolulu, Clayton, and Rochester.

_________________
The dialect I use is Cork Irish.
Ar sgáth a chéile a mhairid na daoine, lag agus láidir, uasal is íseal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 28 Dec 2013 12:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 18 Nov 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 622
New York, Yonkers and Jersey City here. It would be interesting if they expanded this beyond the USA.

_________________
Táim ag foghlaim fós. Fáilte roimh gach aon cheartúchán.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 28 Dec 2013 5:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Mick wrote:
New York, Yonkers and Jersey City here. It would be interesting if they expanded this beyond the USA.


It definitely would be interesting to see it expanded to other countries!

I posted it here mainly because I've heard people insist that the U.S. doesn't have dialects, which, of course, simply isn't true.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan 2014 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
Yonkers, Jersey City, New York ... despite being from the (really, really) deep south. :LOL:

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan 2014 3:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
Breandán wrote:
... despite being from the (really, really) deep south. :LOL:
er … you mean like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smwr24UCRXo

I can understand the older people very well, but for some reason, despite being a reasonably fluent English speaker, it's hard for me to make out what the young guy with glasses is saying. :dhera:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 14 Jan 2014 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
Breandán wrote:
... despite being from the (really, really) deep south. :LOL:
er … you mean like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smwr24UCRXo

I can understand the older people very well, but for some reason, despite being a reasonably fluent English speaker, it's hard for me to make out what the young guy with glasses is saying. :dhera:

'Ssippi? Nah, they way up North. More south like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7SKIGwIHbE

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1889 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group