It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 1:07 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 21 Aug 2013 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
MacBoo wrote:
As an aside, I wonder if Hooper is ever going to respond to this thread, I've seen him hanging around, but I suppose it was just a whim.
Do you get a lot of that on this forum?

It happens. Some people post the same question on multiple forums and then forget to come back. :LOL:

MacBoo wrote:
The spellings taken from The Bedell Bible.

Radical. 8-) The authors of that book had a unique approach to spelling. :LOL: I had never seen two cc's before in Irish. na gC ... would be the norm for genetive plural nowadays. The h's appear to be due to a lack of access to seanchló type, perhaps because the publisher is in London?

The authors have also totally ignored leathan le leathan agus caol le caol. :facepalm: That was one reason I gave up trying to put the quote into seanchló here, but I see you are quoting straight from the horse's mouth.

I still think it might look nicer as:

Bí gérleanṁuin dá déunaṁ oruinn, giḋeaḋ ní tréigṫear sinn; teilgṫear síos sinn, giḋeaḋ ní ṫéiġmid amúġa.

(Even if it _is_ anachronistic! :LOL: )

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 22 Aug 2013 6:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Aug 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 3
Thank You all for your help. I'm still hoping to get a few more responses still just to make sure that i get this correct. So keep them coming your more help than you know :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1091 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group