It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 10:45 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013 5:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 24 Apr 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 32
After visiting this board a person might be excused for thinking that an tIrish language is written mostly in smilies :LOL:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Hallow XIII wrote:
After visiting this board a person might be excused for thinking that an tIrish language is written mostly in smilies :LOL:
:rofl: It is yet to become an official dialect, but we expect word any day now!! 8-)

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 2:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Isn't "Éireannach" one of those words that can be used as either an adjective ("ceol Éireannach") or a noun ("is Éireannach mé")? Is so, I'm not sure the second one is absolutely wrong (though it's not standard).

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 2:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Redwolf wrote:
Isn't "Éireannach" one of those words that can be used as either an adjective ("ceol Éireannach") or a noun ("is Éireannach mé")? Is so, I'm not sure the second one is absolutely wrong (though it's not standard).

Redwolf


It's the "táim Éireannach" part that's wrong. :D

Táim Gaelach. - would be ok though.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 716
Redwolf wrote:
Isn't "Éireannach" one of those words that can be used as either an adjective ("ceol Éireannach") or a noun ("is Éireannach mé")? Is so, I'm not sure the second one is absolutely wrong (though it's not standard).
Redwolf


You need to up your dosage of the memory pills. :mrgreen:
You asked the same question on May 6th last year (I don't know how to do the link thing) and I answered that you can say "Is fear Éireannach mé" (adjective) or "Is Éireannach mé" (noun), but not "Tá mé Éireannach".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Errigal wrote:
(I don't know how to do the link thing)
Just copy and paste the URL into your post. There is a fancy way where you can write things like click HERE, but I don't know how to do that.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013 11:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Maybe Táim Éireannach could be understood as "I'm Irishy" :LOL:

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 23 Jun 2013 3:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Errigal wrote:
Redwolf wrote:
Isn't "Éireannach" one of those words that can be used as either an adjective ("ceol Éireannach") or a noun ("is Éireannach mé")? Is so, I'm not sure the second one is absolutely wrong (though it's not standard).
Redwolf


You need to up your dosage of the memory pills. :mrgreen:
You asked the same question on May 6th last year (I don't know how to do the link thing) and I answered that you can say "Is fear Éireannach mé" (adjective) or "Is Éireannach mé" (noun), but not "Tá mé Éireannach".


Ah bhuel...is seanbhean mé!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 25 Jun 2013 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Sep 2011 2:06 pm
Posts: 716
Saoirse wrote:
Errigal wrote:
(I don't know how to do the link thing)
Just copy and paste the URL into your post.
Grma.
Saoirse wrote:
There is a fancy way where you can write things like click HERE, but I don't know how to do that.

Sin cleas cliste nár mhiste liom a bheith agam . An gcaithfeadh duine bheith ina eolaí roicéad le bheith ábalta sin a dhéanamh?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1489 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group