It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 11:31 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014 8:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 18 Dec 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 6
Dia dhaoibh as Maryland!

Robert Mag Uidhir is ainm dom.

I am a rank beginner in Irish and I yearn for the day when I will be able to write an entire
post in Irish! I know, I set the bar low!

I am first generation American, originally from New York. My father was born and raised
in Leitrim, while my mother is from Mayo (God help us!). Sad to say, I probably already
speak more Irish than they did. When they grew up in Ireland (during the early 20th century), I'm
not sure Irish was as emphasized in school as it is today. None of my aunts or uncles spoke much
Irish either, while quite a few of my cousins speak it, a few quite fluently.

Anyway, I travel "home" quite often, the last time in May 2013 and I finally decided that I would
like to learn the language. Luckily for me, there are courses offered in Washington, DC, the beginner
level of which I just started a few weeks ago.

I've also invested in "Buntus Cainte," the self-paced course, as well as Spoken World Irish. I have studied
languages before. Russian, Spanish, German. I'm hoping that experience will help me with this very, very
different language.

Thanks for listening and

Slan abhaile!

Robert Maguire


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014 8:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
Dia dhuit a chara - fáilte romhat.
Franc ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014 8:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Fáilte go ILF, a chara. :wave: Next time you come 'home', you could try to incorporate a week long emersion course to give your efforts a boost. Ask whatever questions you want here - no task too small. All questions are interesting to somebody and all answers are helpful to a few so all contributions are very welcome. Go n'éirí leat, a chara.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan 2014 10:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 11:52 pm
Posts: 460
Tá fearadh na fáilte romhat isteach, a chara.

_________________
Bí cinnte de go nglacfaidh triúr le gach aistriúchán a thabharfar.
Be sure to get three in agreement with a translation given.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2014 2:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Fáilte go dtí an fóram! I agree with Saoirse...next time you're in Ireland, it's well worth taking an immersion course, even as a beginner (and they're a lot of fun, too!).

Redwolf (who is already homesick for Oideas Gael!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2014 11:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 18 Dec 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 6
Saoirse wrote:
Fáilte go ILF, a chara. :wave: Next time you come 'home', you could try to incorporate a week long emersion course to give your efforts a boost. Ask whatever questions you want here - no task too small. All questions are interesting to somebody and all answers are helpful to a few so all contributions are very welcome. Go n'éirí leat, a chara.


Oh, yes, I would be very interested in something like that. I would imagine there would be courses like that in Dublin. I spend a fair amount of time with cousins in Templeogue.

I also notice that you're in Kildare. Do they have courses like that in or near Naas? I have another cuz who lives there with her family.

I searched for a website on courses there, but with no luck. Do you know of a website?

GRMA agus

Go n'eiri an bothar leat!

Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan 2014 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
RobertMaguire wrote:
I would imagine there would be courses like that in Dublin. I spend a fair amount of time with cousins in Templeogue.
For the best chance of emersion, you really need to head to a Gaeltacht. You will find courses/classes in Dublin and Kildare, but they will be for only an hour or two a week. it sounds like you would benefit best from a full week diving in head first! After doing some ground work (as you are doing), you will benefit all the more from the experience.

Baile Átha Cliath/Dublin: https://cnag.ie/ga/cúrsaí/cúrsaí-i-mbaile-átha-cliath.html

Cill Dara/Kildare: http://www.sultnasollan.ie/ranganna-gaeilge.html

http://www.kildare.ie/community/notices ... _langu.asp

Táim cinnte go bhfuil níos mó ar fáil, ach ceapaim go mbeadh seachtain in áit mar seo níos oiriúnaí duitse.
I am certain there are more available, but I think a week in a place like this would be more suitable for you.

http://www.oideas-gael.com/en/irish-courses/

Drag one of the Irish cousins; I bet they'd love it.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 18 Dec 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 6
Saoirse wrote:
RobertMaguire wrote:
I would imagine there would be courses like that in Dublin. I spend a fair amount of time with cousins in Templeogue.
For the best chance of emersion, you really need to head to a Gaeltacht. You will find courses/classes in Dublin and Kildare, but they will be for only an hour or two a week. it sounds like you would benefit best from a full week diving in head first! After doing some ground work (as you are doing), you will benefit all the more from the experience.

Baile Átha Cliath/Dublin: https://cnag.ie/ga/cúrsaí/cúrsaí-i-mbaile-átha-cliath.html

Cill Dara/Kildare: http://www.sultnasollan.ie/ranganna-gaeilge.html

http://www.kildare.ie/community/notices ... _langu.asp

Táim cinnte go bhfuil níos mó ar fáil, ach ceapaim go mbeadh seachtain in áit mar seo níos oiriúnaí duitse.
I am certain there are more available, but I think a week in a place like this would be more suitable for you.

http://www.oideas-gael.com/en/irish-courses/

Drag one of the Irish cousins; I bet they'd love it.


Go raibh maith agat, a Saoirse! And I will drag one of the cuzzes along! I did look for some courses in the Gaeltacht and I found something that seems to fit the bill in Donegal.

http://www.oideas-gael.com/en/

Fingers crossed that I can make a trip over there this year.

Thanks again!

Robert


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 18 Dec 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 6
RobertMaguire wrote:
Saoirse wrote:
RobertMaguire wrote:
I would imagine there would be courses like that in Dublin. I spend a fair amount of time with cousins in Templeogue.
For the best chance of emersion, you really need to head to a Gaeltacht. You will find courses/classes in Dublin and Kildare, but they will be for only an hour or two a week. it sounds like you would benefit best from a full week diving in head first! After doing some ground work (as you are doing), you will benefit all the more from the experience.

Baile Átha Cliath/Dublin: https://cnag.ie/ga/cúrsaí/cúrsaí-i-mbaile-átha-cliath.html

Cill Dara/Kildare: http://www.sultnasollan.ie/ranganna-gaeilge.html

http://www.kildare.ie/community/notices ... _langu.asp

Táim cinnte go bhfuil níos mó ar fáil, ach ceapaim go mbeadh seachtain in áit mar seo níos oiriúnaí duitse.
I am certain there are more available, but I think a week in a place like this would be more suitable for you.

http://www.oideas-gael.com/en/irish-courses/

Drag one of the Irish cousins; I bet they'd love it.


Go raibh maith agat, a Saoirse! And I will drag one of the cuzzes along! I did look for some courses in the Gaeltacht and I found something that seems to fit the bill in Donegal.

http://www.oideas-gael.com/en/

Fingers crossed that I can make a trip over there this year.

Thanks again!

Robert


Whoops! Should have read to the bottom of your post! Sheesh!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hello from Maryland!
PostPosted: Mon 27 Jan 2014 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
Great minds think alike!

If you manage to get to an Oideas Gael course, ask Redwolf for a few recommendations about the place. A one-liner about Oideas Gael will set her off for at least a page in response with suggestions, tips etc.! :pages: She's an Irish woman locked in the body of an American. :mrgreen: A few other members have been too and it seems to come highly recommended.

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1349 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group