It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 9:12 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
I found the lyrics for the song Pé in Éirinn í online, but there is a verse missing from the written lyrics, which seems to be in all of the sung versions I've found thus far. I've tried to figure the verse out, but am not able to make out some things, and would appreciate any help people can give.

Here is a link to a YouTube version where the song is sung with the additional verse (the second-to-last verse): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pez5rs4KCGw

I'm including below the lyrics which I found online, with blank spaces in the missing verse where I can't make out the word(s) (although feel free to correct me elsewhere in that verse as well). This set of lyrics seems to be correct for the other verses, except that I have two words I'm not sure about, which I've marked in bold below. In the first case, I think I hear what I've put in brackets. In the second case, the singer seems to use a completely different word (or words) which I can't make out, and this happens in the same place in two different several sung versions which I've heard.

I ngleannta séimhe na héigse a bhím,
i bhfanntais péine i ngéibh’ gach laoi,
an tseanbhean ghlé ba bhéasach gnaoi,
do scanraigh mé, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Ní thráchtfaidh mé ar chéile Naoise,
a thug ár na nGael ar théacht don Chraobh,
ná an bháb on nGréig a chéas an Traí,
le grá mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Is brá [breá?], deas, dréimreach, réidh a dlaoi,
go barr an fhéir ina slaod ar bís;
a tláthfholt réidh de dhéalramh an flíos,
ar ghrá mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Is cásmhar, taodach, déarach a bhím,
go cráite, créimeach, céasta ón mhnaoi,
is fánach, faon gan chéill ar baois,
le grá don bhé, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Le barr ó mo bhéal ní ligim scéal,
‘s í an _____ i mo léan, níl _______
ní blasta í mo shéimh, ‘s in/an _______
le na ______, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í

Ar nóin nuair a théim ar thaobh Suí Finn,
faoi bhrón i gcéin is gan aon de mo bhuíon,
cé sheolfadh Aon Mhac Dé i mo líon,
ach stór mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 24 May 2013 9:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
CaoimhínSF wrote:
I found the lyrics for the song Pé in Éirinn í online, but there is a verse missing from the written lyrics, which seems to be in all of the sung versions I've found thus far. I've tried to figure the verse out, but am not able to make out some things, and would appreciate any help people can give.

Here is a link to a YouTube version where the song is sung with the additional verse (the second-to-last verse): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pez5rs4KCGw

I'm including below the lyrics which I found online, with blank spaces in the missing verse where I can't make out the word(s) (although feel free to correct me elsewhere in that verse as well). This set of lyrics seems to be correct for the other verses, except that I have two words I'm not sure about, which I've marked in bold below. In the first case, I think I hear what I've put in brackets. In the second case, the singer seems to use a completely different word (or words) which I can't make out, and this happens in the same place in two different several sung versions which I've heard.

I ngleannta séimhe na héigse a bhím,
i bhfanntais péine i ngéibh’ gach laoi,
an tseanbhean ghlé ba bhéasach gnaoi,
do scanraigh mé, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Ní thráchtfaidh mé ar chéile Naoise,
a thug ár na nGael ar théacht don Chraobh,
ná an bháb on nGréig a chéas an Traí,
le grá mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Is brá [breá?], deas, dréimreach, réidh a dlaoi,
go barr an fhéir ina slaod ar bís;
a tláthfholt réidh de dhéalramh an flíos,
ar ghrá mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Is cásmhar, taodach, déarach a bhím,
go cráite, créimeach, céasta ón mhnaoi,
is fánach, faon gan chéill ar baois,
le grá don bhé, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Le barr ó mo bhéal ní ligim scéal,
‘s í an _____ i mo léan, níl _______
ní blasta í mo shéimh, ‘s in/an _______
le na ______, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í

Ar nóin nuair a théim ar thaobh Suí Finn,
faoi bhrón i gcéin is gan aon de mo bhuíon,
cé sheolfadh Aon Mhac Dé i mo líon,
ach stór mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.


That's a beautiful song,

Is brá= is breá(gh) (rann a trí)

Grá= taitneamh (rann a ceathair)

As regards rann a 5, I hear:

Le barra mo bhéil ní loigim scéal
Is im theangain mo léan, níl aon rud cruínn*
Ní blasta í mo shéimh is an Ghaolainn Chaoin,
Lena mholann mo bhéal, pé i nÉirinn í, pé i nÉirinn í


*Cruinn is pronounced as cruínn in Cork and Kerry and as (cruInn in Ring, the "I" being like the I in "I'm")

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
That's great, AC, and thanks for the extra notes about dialectical pronunciation. It seems to fit well, but I do have two questions:

-- Do you really hear aon rud in the second line of the verse? I seem to hear something else, but can't quite make out the sounds, although I realize that the way a singer sings can sometimes distort sounds.

-- In the last line of the verse, I don't hear the séimhiú in mholann. How would you translate that line?

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 6:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
CaoimhínSF wrote:
That's great, AC, and thanks for the extra notes about dialectical pronunciation. It seems to fit well, but I do have two questions:

-- Do you really hear aon rud in the second line of the verse? I seem to hear something else, but can't quite make out the sounds, although I realize that the way a singer sings can sometimes distort sounds.

-- In the last line of the verse, I don't hear the séimhiú in mholann. How would you translate that line?


I hear a really high aon and then i hear an "ud" before cruínn (do she doesn't make it easy :LOL: )

Lena mholann mo bhéal

With which my mouth praises. i can definitely hear a séimhiú sound on the "m" its similar to a soft v. Edit Actually I don't here a séimhiú!

"Le barra mo bhéil ní loigim scéal
Is im theangain mo léin, níl aon rud cruínn*
Ní blasta í mo shéimh is an Ghaolainn Chaoin,
Lena mholann mo bhéal, pé i nÉirinn í, pé i nÉirinn í"

With the tip/top of my mouth I do not release/ let loose a story
In my language/ speech of my suffering (or it could be i mo léan (she kinda rushes that bit)/ In my language in my suffering, there is nothing accurate/ correct,
My mellow (music) nor my gentle/tender (or caoin can also mean lamentful) Irish is not tasteful
With which my mouth praises, who in Ireland is she at all/ who in Ireland is she, who is she at all/ who in Ireland is she

A rough translation! It sis difficult though and she doesn't make it easy! :LOL:

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Last edited by An Cionnfhaolach on Sat 25 May 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 18 Aug 2012 11:43 pm
Posts: 723
Location: Nua Mheicsiceo
I love this song!

I think the 2nd line says:
Is im' theangain, mo léan, níl Béarla cruinn

And the rest of it sounds like:
Ní blasta mo théacs, in Gaolainn chaoin
Lena molfainn mo bhéal, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í.


Maybe it goes something like that. :dhera:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2013 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri 09 Mar 2012 6:16 pm
Posts: 1527
WeeFalorieMan wrote:
I love this song!

I think the 2nd line says:
Is im' theangain, mo léan, níl Béarla cruinn

And the rest of it sounds like:
Ní blasta mo théacs, in Gaolainn chaoin
Lena molfainn mo bhéal, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í.


Maybe it goes something like that. :dhera:


It very well could be "béarla" :yes:

I originally thought it was m(h)olfainn, but after listening to it and listening to it I can only here a broad double "nn" i.e "ann"!

_________________
Is Fearr súil romhainn ná ḋá ṡúil inár ndiaiḋ
(Amhlaoibh Ó Súilleabháin)

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice


I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
This is what they have in Ceolta Gael 2 - (if it's any help)

I ngleannta séimhe na héigse a bhím,
I bhfanntais péine i ngéibh' gach laoi,
An tseangbhean (?) ghlé ba bhéasach gnaoi,
Do scanraigh mé, pé'n Éirinn í, pé'n Éirinn í.

Ní thráchtfaidh mé ar chéile Naoise,
A thug ár na nGael ar théacht don Chraobh,
Ná an bháb on nGréig a chéas an Traí,
Le grá mo chléibh, pé'n Éirinn í, pé'n Éirinn í.

Is breá, deas, dréimreach, réidh a dlaoi,
Go barr an fhéir ina slaod ar bís;
A tláthfholt réidh de dhéalramh an flíos,
Ar ghrá mo chléibh, pé'n Éirinn, pé'n Éirinn í,

Is cásmhar, taodach, déarach a bhím,
Go cráite, créimeach, céasta ón mhnaoi,
Is fánach, faon gan chéill ar baois,
Le grá don bhé, pé'n Éirinn í, pé'n Éirinn í,

Ar nóin nuair a théim ar thaobh Suí Finn
Faoi bhrón i gcéin is gan aon de mo bhuíon
Cé sheolfadh Aon Mhac Dé in mo líon
Ach stór mo chléibh, pé'n Éirinn í, pé'n Éirinn í.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2013 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
So that I don't mislead anyone with what I had come up with before (which was actually not too bad, I think, given what I knew), I'm editing this to replace what I had with my latest take on the Irish lyrics and the translation, based on what franc found (below) and what I think are some needed corrections in the translation (but, then, I'm no expert). I'm including both the Irish and the English here.

I ngleanntaibh séimhe na héigse a bhím,
i bhfanntais péine i ngéibh’ gach laoi,
an tseanbhean ghlé ba bhéasach gnaoi,
do scanraigh mé, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Ní thráchtaigh mé ar chéile Naoise, *
a thug ár na nGael ar théacht don Chraobh,
ná an bháb on nGréig a chéas an Traí,
le grá mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Is breá, deas, dréimreach, réidh a dlaoi,
go barr an fhéir ina slaod ar bís;
a tláthfholt réidh de dhéalramh an flíos,
ar ghrá mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Is cásmhar, taodach, déarach a bhím,
go cráite, créimeach, céasta ón mhnaoi,
is fánach, faon gan chéill ar baois,
le grá don bhé, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í.

Le barra mo mhéar ní léir dam scriobhadh,
‘s im’ theangain, mo léan, níl Béarla cruínn.
ní blasta mo théacs, i nGaoluinn chaoin
lena molfainn mo bheith, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í.

Ar nóin nuair a théim ar thaobh Suí Finn, **
faoi bhrón i gcéin is gan aon de mo bhuíon,
cé sheolfadh Aon Mhac Dé i mo líon,
ach stór mo chléibh, pé’n Éirinn í, pé’n Éirinn í


Notes:
* In Irish mythology, that was Deirdre
** A mountain in County Limerick

It’s in pleasant valleys of learning I dwell,
trapped each day in a painful faint,
the bright old woman who was very affectionate,
who frightened me, whoever in Ireland she may be, ...

I did not mention the partner of Naoise,
who equated the slaughter of the Gaels to the cross,
nor the maiden from Greece who plagued Troy,
for the love of my heart, whoever in Ireland she may be, …

Her tresses are fine, nice, [shingled?], and smooth,
spiraling in folds down to the top of the grass,
her smooth head of hair with the shine of fleece,
for the love of my heart, whoever in Ireland she may be, …

It’s plaintive, temperamental, and tearful I am,
tormented, worn, plagued by the woman,
wandering, languid, senseless, foolish,
for the love of the woman, whoever in Ireland she may be, …

My handwriting is not adequate,
and, alas, my English is not sufficiently perfect,
my text in tender Irish is not sweet [enough],
that I might praise my woman, whoever in Ireland she may be, …

At noon when I come to Suí Finn,
deep in sorrow and without any of my band,
what does the Only Son of God send into my net,
but the love of my heart, whoever in Ireland she may be, …

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2013 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 9:55 am
Posts: 2114
Location: 91 - France
Here's what's on the the CD sleeve notes (I'm sorry I didn't check with the YouTube reference before)

Pé in Éirinn í - Whoever She is in Ireland

I ngleanntaibh séimhe na héigse a bhím - In pleasant glens of learning I dwell
I bhfanntais péine i ngéibh' gach laoi - Trapped each day in a painful faint
An tseanbhean ghlé ba bhéasach gnaoi - The bright old woman of great affection
Do scanraigh mé, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í - Frightened me, whoever she is in Ireland.

Ní thráchtaigh mé ar chéile Naoise - I did not mention the partner of Naoise,
A thug ár na nGael ar théacht don Chraobh, - Who equated the slaughter of the Irish to the Cross
Ná an bháb an nGréig a chéas an Traí - Nor the child from Greece who tormented Troy
Le grá mo chléibh, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í. - For the love of my heart, whoever she is in Ireland.

Ar nóin nuair a théim ar thaobh Suí Finn, - At noon when I go to Finn's Seat,
Faoi bhrón i gcéin is gan aon de mo bhuíon, - Sad and lonely with none of my company,
Cé sheoladh Aon Mhac Dé i mo lion, - Who does the Son of God send to me,
Ach stór mo chléibh, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í, - But the love of my heart, whoever she is in Ireland

Is breá, deas, dréimeach, réidh a dlaoi, - Her tress is nice, lovely and emulous (?)
Go barr an fhéir ina slaod ar bis, - Also the top of the grass in swathes of spirals
A tláthfholt réidh de dhealramh a flíos, - Her gentle head of hair like fleece,
Ar ghrá mo chléibh, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í. - Has the love of my heart, whoever she is in Ireland

Is cásmhar, taodach, déarach a bhím, - I am sad, stubborn and tearful,
Go cráite, créimeach, céasta ón mhnaoi, - Miserable, consumed and crucified by the woman,
Is fánach, faon gan chéill ar baois, - At times, subdued without a partner in lust,
Le grá don bhé, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í. - With the love for the woman, whoever she is in Ireland

Le barra mo mhéar ní léir dam scriobhadh - My handwriting is not adequate
'S im theangain, mo léann, níl Béarla cruinn - And, alas, my English is not sufficiently perfect,
Ní blasta mo théacs, i nGaolain chaoin - My text in tender Irish is not sweet enough,
Le n-a molfainn mo bheith, pé in Éirinn í, pé in Éirinn í. - That I might praise my woman, whoever she is in Ireland.

Pé in Éirinn í
Do chum an fíle Ciarraíoch mór le rá, Eoghain Ruadh Ó Súilleabháin (1748 - 1784), an t-amhrán grá seo.
Saolaíodh sna Mínteóga in aice le Cill Áirne é agus deirtear gurbé an fíle claiseacach deirneach a bhí in Éirinn. Ba mhúinteoir, máirnéalach agus spailpín é comh maith. Tá scata bhéarsaí eile cumtha san amhrán seo, ach seo an rogha is mó a thaitin le Muireann.
This beautiful love song was composed by the noted Kerry poet Eoghain Ruadh Ó Súilleabhán (1748 - 1784) also known as Eoin of the Sweet Mouth. He was from Meetogues near Killarney and it is said that he was the last of the great classical poets. In the course of his life he was also a teacher, a farm labourer and a sailor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
That's a great help, franc. I didn't know there were liner notes available (I downloaded it off the net). There are some important wording differencesin the Irish here and there, resulting in some meaning changes, and I think a few lines of what you got from the liner notes are loose or figurative translations, but I get the gist of it now.

I still can't figure out the role of the old woman near the beginning, but the rest all seems to go together well. The do scanraigh mé in the first verse had thrown me, but I'd forgotten that in Munster they use (or used) do where a is used in the CO, and not just for making the past tense (as in "scían do bhí briste", instead of scían a bhí briste.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1653 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group