An Lon Dubh wrote:
Well it would have, not so much now, distinguished the future and subjunctive for some verbs:
go gcamfaidh sé = that it will bend.
Go gcamaidh sé = May it bend.
If irish had been left to it's own devices, it might have continued to extend grammatical functions by single sounds rather than whole morphemes (broad/slender synthetic ending (
A bhuí le Dia na bhfeart go bhfeiceam vs.
féachaim) -I know these examples are a bit anachronistic and cut over moods, but still))
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Actually, when you add in all the vowels (11), the diphthongs (6) and the triphthongs (1 in Connacht(?)), that would basically give a 19th century Roscommon speaker 73 phonemes!
As a Leitrim man, I'd hate to credit a Rossie with anything, tho, I'll admit I would have made a fine national language if history had been different. It's also mad to think how exotic Irish is in its own way -you don't need to head into a jungle to find unvoiced liquids, initial mutation, dual contrasting consonants, conjugated prepositions, VSO, dual numbering, verbal impersonal, base-twenty counting...while found in places all over the world, unusual for Europe for the given mix. If more knew about this, Irish would be seen with newer eyes
An Lon Dubh wrote:
To add to the confusion, Cavan Irish had [ʁ] as an allophone of broad r!
There are people in Breifne who have that in their English, and in one of the maps on the Dialect/Kingdoms thread shows that too. Where does the info come from? Some Conemara speakers had it too, and so had somewhere else, tho I can't recall where, nor where I read it (some PDF paper off the net, I think)
An Lon Dubh wrote:
Do you know when R' died out?
I don't but I want to know what it was like. Its loss introduced an asymmetry into the system which used to annoy me! I'd love if Lughaidh or Breandan would make an attempt at it! The description of what it was possibly like in O'Quiggin's book make it sound to me like a slender r make from the same tongue position as 'j' (and /N'/ and /L'/ sounds) and that would make it a kind of z-sound, and that is what confuses me.
I've read that the z phoneme was originally lost as it conflicted with the voiced dental fricative. Since there were two of them that would lead to a lot of competition for not all to dissimilar sounds (s, s', z, (z') t, d, th, th', dh, dh', r' and R'), so it might just have had to have been dropped for salience reasons
The Ring data with its treatment of r-sounds shows just how much variety there was in Irish. Pity most of its gone now