It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 10:06 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu 09 Jan 2014 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Braoin wrote:
I don't think of these things. All I can see is a concept 'comfort zone' which is alien to my experience. But I am often in too deep and that is where the poster says life begins.
I suppose I could think:
Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint.
...but to me it is a way of saying the same thing... perhaps a little clearer...
Depends on whether I want to emphasise life or comfort zone more...

Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint.
Does that mean literally - "life starts when I go further than my reach" ? I haven't heard "as mo bhaint" before.
Sounds good. I'm not clear myself how to say "comfort zone". It's always hard to translate idiomatic expressions.


Mick wrote:
Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo shólás.
(The life begins at the edge of my solace)


That is closer to the literal meaning of what was wanted if you substitute sólás with sáimhín só.
Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo sháimhín só.


Great! I appreciate your input. Would others agree with this translation?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 11 Jan 2014 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 19 Dec 2012 3:58 pm
Posts: 488
"Comfort zone" is an odd one, right enough. Maybe a better way of looking at it would be more metaphorical. Life lies beyond the garden gate? Life starts when you step out the front door?

_________________
A language belongs to its native speakers, and when you speak it, you are a guest in their homes.
If you are not a good guest, you have no right to complain about receiving poor hospitality.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 1:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
The term "comfort zone" just implies to me that one needs to put themselves in situations they are uncomfortable with to grow and experience what all life has to offer. One cannot just settle for less than what life could offer just because they don't want to be uncomfortable.

Therefore, I like "Tosóidh an sail san áit a radiates as no bhaint" (previous replys translated to "life starts when I go further than my reach") and "Tosnaíonn an sail ar imeall no sháimhín só."

The question is what is the difference between the two?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 3:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
samsam0324 wrote:
Therefore, I like "Tosóidh an sail san áit a radiates as no bhaint" (previous replys translated to "life starts when I go further than my reach") and "Tosnaíonn an sail ar imeall no sháimhín só."

The question is what is the difference between the two?

You have some spelling mistakes there.

Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint. "Life will begin where I go outside my reach"

Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo sháimhín só. "Life begins at the edge of my feeling happy and at ease."

I think the second one is very close.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 3:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun 05 Jan 2014 12:10 am
Posts: 7
I prefer the meaning of the first version. Thank you for correcting those mistakes, my phone auto corrected and I didn't double check it.

Is that first translation structured correctly?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 10 Feb 2014 6:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue 15 Nov 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 1098
Tosóidh an saol san áit a rachadsa as mo bhaint & Tosnaíonn an saol ar imeall mo sháimhín só are the two the forum feels happiest about.

_________________
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.___


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1736 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group