It is currently Wed 30 Sep 2026 9:33 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: An Seanduine Dóite
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 8:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 22 Sep 2012 5:40 pm
Posts: 157
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Any idea of the rest of it a Dhomhnaill?

We found so many different verses online. But it seems that most of what Máire says is unique to her version of the song.


Sorry, had forgotten about this. So I had another listen and picked up some lines but not others. It's really hard! I sent the link to a musician native speaker in Loch an Iúir so I'll let you know what he says.

Second and third verses, I can only pick out random words, not enough to get the sense.

Fourth verse:

Chuir mé an seanduine siar go Tír …..(?)
An áit a raibh míle agus fiche dá …...... (?)
D'imigh a chuid gruaige is thit a chuid fiacla
Agus tháinig sé (chun) 'n bhaile ina bhromaistín bliana


Fifth verse:

?
Cleite ina hata is gan pingin ina phóca
Ceathrar a mhealladh is cúigear a phógadh
Is …..... (?) go rachfadh sé leofa.


Sixth verse:
Can't get the first two lines, but the last two are:

Ag filleadh (chun) 'n bhaile domh le teacht an tráthnóna
fuair mé mo sheanduine ag damhsa sa tseomra


That's all I can get for the moment. I'll have a listen again in a few days and maybe I'll pick up some more, and I'll let you know if my friend comes back with anything.

Slán,

Domhnall

_________________
Ultach mé agus Gaeilg Uladh a labhraim go measardha maith!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Seanduine Dóite
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 9:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
AnBraonach wrote:
Fourth verse:

Chuir mé an seanduine siar go Tír …..(?)
An áit a raibh míle agus fiche dá …...... (?)
D'imigh a chuid gruaige is thit a chuid fiacla
Agus tháinig sé (chun) 'n bhaile ina bhromaistín bliana


I wonder could it be.
chuir mé an seanduine siar go tí Laoghaire,
áit a raibh míle is fiche dá chleamhain,
d'imigh go Corcaigh .....

corrected

"..ina bhromaistín bliana" - :clap: I would never have guessed that.


I have a few more snippets but I don't want to be influencing you with something that could be TOTALLY wrong.

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: An Seanduine Dóite
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 11:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 22 Sep 2012 5:40 pm
Posts: 157
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I wonder could it be.
chuir mé an seanduine siar go tí Laoghaire,
áit a raibh míle is fiche dá cleamhain,
d'imigh go Corcaigh .....


Could well be! Cleamhain sounds right, not sure about Corcaigh though! I have plenty of snippets from the other verses too, just not enough to make sense. We should maybe put them together.

_________________
Ultach mé agus Gaeilg Uladh a labhraim go measardha maith!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1535 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group