It is currently Tue 29 Sep 2026 2:55 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 3:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 18 Dec 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 6
My Leitrim uncle (who didn't speak much Irish) of course used many Irish words anyway.

Amadán...garsún. Those are some that I remember.

One of his words that I have not been able to find was (and I transliterate) "deh-reh-been."

I got the sense that it meant a little boy or little person.

Does anyone know what Irish word he was using?

Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
RobertMaguire wrote:
My Leitrim uncle (who didn't speak much Irish) of course used many Irish words anyway.

Amadán...garsún. Those are some that I remember.

One of his words that I have not been able to find was (and I transliterate) "deh-reh-been."

I got the sense that it meant a little boy or little person.

Does anyone know what Irish word he was using?

Thanks in advance.


This could be a stretch, but might it have been "deartháirín" (an affectionate way of saying "little brother")?

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 01 Jun 2013 8:46 pm
Posts: 466
What sort of context would he use it with ?

_________________
Bíonn rudaí maithe mall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 03 Feb 2014 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 18 Dec 2013 1:10 pm
Posts: 6
Dáithí Mac Giolla. wrote:
What sort of context would he use it with ?


Actually, he used it to refer to himself.

He played football when he was younger and he was telling me and a friend of his about a game
he played in his youth.

He said that he had the ball and was running down the field. He was a small man and there was a big bruiser
running at him to stop him. He said he remembered someone yelling from the sidelines, "Don't kill the little
"deh-reh-been!" The closest I can come to spelling it in Irish is "derebín."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 7:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 23 Apr 2013 11:47 am
Posts: 349
Location: Imeall Chathair Ghríobháin
Doirbhín, or doirbín, perhaps, it means a small worm or insect or something like that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3001
Could you be mis-hearing it I wonder?
scubaidín - a little rascal.
It's easy to lose the SC sound at beginning of words.

When used for adults its "scubaide" (that's the word you will find in the dictionary. But the diminutive is added for children).


. :>: .

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 06 Feb 2014 6:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
MacBoo wrote:
Doirbhín, or doirbín, perhaps, it means a small worm or insect or something like that.

The vowel combination -oi- is often pronounced /e/, so this may be a possibility.

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1105 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group