It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2026 10:34 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013 1:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri 25 Oct 2013 12:57 am
Posts: 1
Hi! I recently came across the proverb, "eiridh tonn air uisge balbh" and fell in love with it... only to find out that that is the scottish gaelic translation! Being Irish not Scottish, I want to know how to say the same phrase in irish gaelic. Could anyone translate "A wave will rise on quiet water" into irish gaelic for me?

Thank you!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 25 Oct 2013 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon 29 Aug 2011 4:54 pm
Posts: 3444
Location: Cill Dara
caitlinerin95 wrote:
Hi! I recently came across the proverb, "eiridh tonn air uisge balbh" and fell in love with it... only to find out that that is the scottish gaelic translation! Being Irish not Scottish, I want to know how to say the same phrase in irish gaelic. Could anyone translate "A wave will rise on quiet water" into irish gaelic for me?

Thank you!!!!!
Hi Cailinerin95. Fáilte chuig ILF! - Welcome to ILF! I edited the heading of your post to help people to locate it. Something just called 'Tattoo' will be lost in the list of threads.

To kick off the discussion, how about, "Éireoidh tonn ar uisce séimh". I am far from the best this site has to offer so wait for the 'professionals' to offer their tuppence worth!

_________________
Is foghlaimeoir mé. I am a learner. DEFINITELY wait for others to confirm and/or improve.
Beatha teanga í a labhairt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013 1:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Where did you come across this saying? Balbh is an Irish word, but it doesn't mean queit, it means mute (as in a dumb person, one who cannot speak).

My suggestion for the tattoo would be

Éireoidh tonn ar uisce ciúin.

It has a good ring to it too, as tonn may be pronounced the same as ciúin.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 26 Oct 2013 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1581
Quote:
Where did you come across this saying? Balbh is an Irish word, but it doesn't mean queit, it means mute (as in a dumb person, one who cannot speak).


The word balbh can mean both "quiet" and "mute" in Scottish Gaelic.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1453 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group