It is currently Tue 06 Oct 2026 3:06 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Hey all,

What does "thar meon" mean in the phrase below?:

"A chroí a ghráigh sliocht Ádhaimh thar meon"

I keep feeling I should recognize it, but I can't quite put my finger on it (and can't find it under either "thar" or "meon" in FGB).


GRMA!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Meon means something along the lines of "state of mind" "disposition" or "temperament". Thar meon, I assume, means "beyond mind" or "very very much". Thar is used to emphasise words in that way. So we have:

His heart that loved Adam's offspring [insert suitable English version here :D]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:29 pm
Posts: 3002
I haven't heard that term before.
I've heard "meon" alright, like in - meon na ndaoine.


What comes after it?

Where is it in the Bible?

_________________
___________________________________________________________

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

___________________________________________________________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 4:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I haven't heard that term before.
I've heard "meon" alright, like in - meon na ndaoine.


What comes after it?

Where is it in the Bible?



No idea...it was sent to me by a friend.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
http://www.potafocal.com/Search.aspx?Lang=ga&Text=meon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Scooby wrote:
http://www.potafocal.com/Search.aspx?Lang=ga&Text=meon


GRMA! Agus grma do Ghumbí fosta.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 6:15 pm
Posts: 3594
Location: An Astráil
If it means "more than average" as potafocal indicates, then I think it is really just a misspelling of thar meán "beyond measure, exceeding" (FGB).

_________________
Múinteoir Gaeilge - Irish Teacher
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect, but I can also speak Ulster and Munster Irish with native-level pronunciation.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), Gaeilic Uladh (GU), Gaelainn na Mumhan (GM), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jun 2012 8:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 8:09 pm
Posts: 943
Breandán wrote:
If it means "more than average" as potafocal indicates, then I think it is really just a misspelling of thar meán "beyond measure, exceeding" (FGB).

Another example translate it as "inordinate".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue 06 Sep 2011 7:18 pm
Posts: 576
Breandán wrote:
If it means "more than average" as potafocal indicates, then I think it is really just a misspelling of thar meán "beyond measure, exceeding" (FGB).



...and FGB confirms that meon can be an alternate version of meán. It seems meán/mian/méin/meon are connected (depending on which meaning you pick).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Thar meon
PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
BTW, the quote is from the song "A Íosa Bháin." Here's the full verse (sadly, there's no punctuation in my copy):

A chroí a ghráigh sliocht Ádhaimh thar meon
I soilse an ghrá rug barr na nós
Do choríse fág le grá do m'short
Sa chroí seo im lár a Shlánaitheoir
Ó, a Shlánaitheoir.

This spelling is apparently what's in Abair Amhráin.

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1549 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group