It is currently Thu 18 Apr 2024 12:04 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri 07 Oct 2011 8:29 pm 

heather304 wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Here's one way you could break it:

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh
"Our hearts are gushing"

le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh
"With a beauty our eyes would never see."

Okay I like that. But remember Breandán its 'overflowing' lol.. I actually kinda like the fact that that word can be kind of different like 'overflowing','erupt', etc.. (thanks Koko lol) So yeahh I like it :D

So does everyone think this is the 100% accurate one to go with?!?

I think it's as good and as short as you're going to get. I have to admit, reading it and thinking it in Gaeilge, it is for me an unusual thought... I'm not sure if I can grasp it :)
Anyway, the very best of luck with the tattoo!

PostPosted: Sat 08 Oct 2011 3:32 am 

Braoin wrote:
I have to admit, reading it and thinking it in Gaeilge, it is for me an unusual thought... I'm not sure if I can grasp it :)
I think it means that the beauty that comes from the heart isn't something you can see with your eyes but rather something you feel, from the other person's good intentions, etc., - or something like that. Perhaps it means different things to different people.

heather304 wrote:
I was wondering if when I get the final translation (the one I'll use for the tattoo) if someone could help me learn the pronunciation of it that'd be awesome!

Here's a sound file for how I'd pronounce it (Connemara-style):

http://www.awyr.com/ILF/saewndfaylz/T%C ... chtadh.mp3

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh.
TAW uh GREE uh BROOKH-tuh ly-AWL-yukht nukh VEK-ikh uh SOOL-ih RHEE-oo
/tɑ: ə gri: ə bru:xtə l´ɑ:L´əxt Nax w´ek´əx ə su:l´ə r´i:əw/

NOTES ON PRONUNCIATION:

ár (and bhur) is reduced to uh /ə/ in Connemara, the change in the following word being enough to indicate the sense of our (or your), unless emphasis is required, in which case muide or sinne would be added after the noun. A "standardized" pronunciation of ár would be AWR /ɑ:r/

ag (and bhur) is reduced to uh /ə/ in Connemara, except before vowels where the pronunciation would be EGG(y) /eg(´)/.

The h after le is not pronounced in Connemara.

The broad ch /x/ (kh in my phonics) is like the ch in loch /lox/ (lokh), never like a k sound. It may help to think of a very breathy h pronounced deep in the throat.

dh at the end of a noun is silent.

The dh in the conditional ending -feadh is devoiced and pronounced the same as ch above.

Slender r in the middle or at the end of a word in Irish has a buzz somewhat like the French j in je, which I have written as "rh" in the phonics.

Please bear in mind that I am not a native speaker. Bríd might like to do a recording for you as she is a full native from the area.

If other people would like to upload their soundfiles to our server, please PM me and I can upload them and give you a URL for the file. That would be preferable to uploading to a free upload site that may pull the files in the future and/or risk virus infection.

Bear in mind that heather304 has specifically requested Connacht Irish, though other dialect versions would be interesting for comparison.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Mon 10 Oct 2011 1:32 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Braoin wrote:
I have to admit, reading it and thinking it in Gaeilge, it is for me an unusual thought... I'm not sure if I can grasp it :)
I think it means that the beauty that comes from the heart isn't something you can see with your eyes but rather something you feel, from the other person's good intentions, etc., - or something like that. Perhaps it means different things to different people.

heather304 wrote:
I was wondering if when I get the final translation (the one I'll use for the tattoo) if someone could help me learn the pronunciation of it that'd be awesome!

Here's a sound file for how I'd pronounce it (Connemara-style):

http://www.awyr.com/ILF/saewndfaylz/T%C ... chtadh.mp3

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh.
TAW uh GREE uh BROOKH-tuh ly-AWL-yukht nukh VEK-ikh uh SOOL-ih RHEE-oo
/tɑ: ə gri: ə bru:xtə l´ɑ:L´əxt Nax w´ek´əx ə su:l´ə r´i:əw/

NOTES ON PRONUNCIATION:

ár (and bhur) is reduced to uh /ə/ in Connemara, the change in the following word being enough to indicate the sense of our (or your), unless emphasis is required, in which case muide or sinne would be added after the noun. A "standardized" pronunciation of ár would be AWR /ɑ:r/

ag (and bhur) is reduced to uh /ə/ in Connemara, except before vowels where the pronunciation would be EGG(y) /eg(´)/.

The h after le is not pronounced in Connemara.

The broad ch /x/ (kh in my phonics) is like the ch in loch /lox/ (lokh), never like a k sound. It may help to think of a very breathy h pronounced deep in the throat.

dh at the end of a noun is silent.

The dh in the conditional ending -feadh is devoiced and pronounced the same as ch above.

Slender r in the middle or at the end of a word in Irish has a buzz somewhat like the French j in je, which I have written as "rh" in the phonics.

Please bear in mind that I am not a native speaker. Bríd might like to do a recording for you as she is a full native from the area.

If other people would like to upload their soundfiles to our server, please PM me and I can upload them and give you a URL for the file. That would be preferable to uploading to a free upload site that may pull the files in the future and/or risk virus infection.

Bear in mind that heather304 has specifically requested Connacht Irish, though other dialect versions would be interesting for comparison.

Your 100% correct on the meaning Breandán but yes, it can be taken in many different ways. Thank You Sooo Much Breandán for doing that sound file & breaking it down for me like that! That helps sooo much! I can actually do the beginning but I'm going to need to practice the end, kinda tricky lol. & yes more sound files would be AMAZING because it would help me so much more! I appreciate everyones hard work, nobody had to help me but you did & I'm so thankful! :D

Thank You!
:GRMA:

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 6:12 pm 

As requested I made a soundfile -

http://www.irishlearner.awyr.com/membrf ... chtadh.mp3

I'd really like Braoin to make one too. :D

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Oct 2011 8:04 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
As requested I made a soundfile -

http://www.irishlearner.awyr.com/membrf ... chtadh.mp3

I'd really like Braoin to make one too. :D

Thanks so much Bríd! I really appreciate it! :) & yeah that'd be cool too. The more soundfiles the better!! lol..

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012 3:27 pm 

Hey guys.. So I havent gotten the tattoo yet due to some reason but now Im for sure getting it & I was wondering if we could possibly break it into 3 lines now.. If not tha's fine.. I'll make this work lol.. Thanks for all the help again :)

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012 3:57 pm 

For three lines, one way might be:

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh
le háilleacht nach bhfeicfeadh
ár súile riamh

If you'd like to try it in an older script:

Tá ár gcroí ag brúċtaḋ
le háilleaċt naċ ḃfeicfeaḋ
ár súile riaṁ

(Proofing welcome. :wave: )

It kind of lends itself better to two lines:

Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh le háilleacht
nach bhfeicfeadh ár súile riamh

Tá ár gcroí ag brúċtaḋ le háilleaċt
naċ ḃfeicfeaḋ ár súile riaṁ

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012 6:45 pm 

Okay, I wasnt sure if I could fit it all lol.. So you think the two lines look better? & you also had it seperated differently before.. You had it like this
Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh

Is this way correct or are they both okay?

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012 7:10 pm 

while comparing them, I think I like your first suggestion becuz the top is shorter & it'll balance out :) what do you thikn?

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2012 7:18 pm 

heather304 wrote:
Okay, I wasnt sure if I could fit it all lol.. So you think the two lines look better? & you also had it seperated differently before.. You had it like this
Tá ár gcroí ag brúchtadh

Is this way correct or are they both okay?

Sorry, forgot I'd already done that. :facepalm:

Both are okay, really, but the way I gave you earlier might be better. As you can see, I've tried not to separate the le háilleacht from the nach bhfeicfeadh in the three-line version, and that was why I did it that way in the earlier two-line version as well.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next