It is currently Sun 22 Sep 2019 11:10 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Go with the Great Queen
PostPosted: Sun 14 Jul 2019 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 119
Grammar check on the following, please.

Téigh leis an Bhanrion Mhor, a Dhuke, a mhadra is fearr

I was trying to say, "Go with the Great Queen, Duke, best dog"

How close am I?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul 2019 10:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 278
Maybe

Téigh leis an mBanríon Mhór, a Dhuke, a mhadra is fearr.

But I'm not sure about the form for "mór".

Wait for more input.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 16 Jul 2019 11:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1150
Vitaee wrote:
Grammar check on the following, please.

Téigh leis an Bhanrion Mhor, a Dhuke, a mhadra is fearr

I was trying to say, "Go with the Great Queen, Duke, best dog"

How close am I?

Téigh leis an Bhanríon Mhór (so in Ulster; else: mBanríon Mhór), a Dhiúic, a mhadra is fearr.

"Duke" as a proper name is unchanged (a Duke).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 17 Jul 2019 9:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 119
Momentarily forgot that Banríon would need elipsis and not lenition in mosts part of Ireland (exception being Ulster where it would be lenition).
Wasn't quite sure about Mór. Thought it would require lenition regardless because it's modifying a feminine noun regardless of whether that noun has elipsis or lenition.
Had no idea at all about how to handle non Irish proper names when used in the vocative.

Would the general rule here be to use the proper name as is without lention unless there's an obvious Irish equivalent to the name? For example, "Hello, Mary" would be Dia duit, a Mháire but "Hello, Matilda" would be Dia duit, a Matilda. Am I correct on that?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2019 6:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 278
Vitaee wrote:
Momentarily forgot that Banríon would need elipsis and not lenition in mosts part of Ireland (exception being Ulster where it would be lenition).
Wasn't quite sure about Mór. Thought it would require lenition regardless because it's modifying a feminine noun regardless of whether that noun has elipsis or lenition.
Had no idea at all about how to handle non Irish proper names when used in the vocative.

Would the general rule here be to use the proper name as is without lention unless there's an obvious Irish equivalent to the name? For example, "Hello, Mary" would be Dia duit, a Mháire but "Hello, Matilda" would be Dia duit, a Matilda. Am I correct on that?


Although I don't like to see it, I know many people who lenite English words/names used in Irish. I don't know if it is right or not, but it follows the grammar. Personally, I also wouldn't change the spelling of "Duke" using Irish orthography but that again is a preference. I would also eclipse "banríon".


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2019 10:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1150
How to pronounce "a Dhuke"?

There's rather a slender /d/ in English, so "a Yuke"?
Or, as orthography suggests, with a broad dh /​ɣ/?, "a Ghuke"?

No English speaking dog would understand ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 19 Jul 2019 3:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 278
Labhrás wrote:
How to pronounce "a Dhuke"?

There's rather a slender /d/ in English, so "a Yuke"?
Or, as orthography suggests, with a broad dh /​ɣ/?, "a Ghuke"?

No English speaking dog would understand ;)


It wouldn't be far removed from "a Dhiúic", I imagine, as in the flow of speaking the pronunciation may come naturally. I get letters from people starting "A Thim, a chara . . ." and it sounds weird to me (Ah HIM) but again it is grammatical. I don't really know what is correct. To each his own I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group