It is currently Tue 16 Apr 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 12:07 am 

Hi everyone,
I'm wanting some confirmation on a translation I received.
The phrase is "Of a thousand loves" which is taken from "You are the result of a thousand loves".
Bitesize Irish Gaelic was kind enough to translate it to 'Toradh grá na mílte' the result of the love of thousands, and also 'grá na mílte' the love of thousands.
They have, however, suggested that I seek confirmation/more opinions here to verify this.
Thank-you kindly.
Gem :D

PostPosted: Mon 06 Aug 2018 10:30 am 

GemSian wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm wanting some confirmation on a translation I received.
The phrase is "Of a thousand loves" which is taken from "You are the result of a thousand loves".
Bitesize Irish Gaelic was kind enough to translate it to 'Toradh grá na mílte' the result of the love of thousands, and also 'grá na mílte' the love of thousands.
They have, however, suggested that I seek confirmation/more opinions here to verify this.
Thank-you kindly.
Gem :D

Open ended genitives are pretty hard to do in Irish. Often the only indication that a word is in the genitive is its position _after_ another noun. Without the other noun, the genitive is lost.

Looking at grá na mílte "love of thousands", I think "thousands of what?" Dollars? And it isn't clear whether the person loves the thousands or is being loved by the thousands.

The first problem could be remedied by adding duine "person": grá míle duine "love of a thousand people" but it is still not clear in which direction the love is directed.

"A thousand loves" is míle grá in Irish. Expressions like a mhíle grá "beloved" = "my thousand loves" or mo mhíle stór "darling" = "my thousand treasures" are common terms of endearment in Irish. I'm inclined to suggest one of those instead, or simply:

míle grá "a thousand loves"

Await further input ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018 4:38 am 

Thank you for your advice.
May I ask though, does "Toradh grá na mílte" translate to "result of the love of thousands"? And does that make more sense of what I'm trying to translate?
Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018 4:43 am 

My intention is for the phrase to be a 'nod' to my ancestors. To remember that it is the love of thousands that manifested my existence and (the love of thousands) is ever present in my being. So I'd be happy for it to be 'tweaked' to something more direct if need be.

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018 8:55 am 

As I said I found Toradh grá na mílte ambiguous, plus na mílte could mean "of the miles", but await other opinions on that.

Possible tweaks:

Toradh ghrá na mílte duine "Fruit of the love of thousands of people"
Toradh an mhíle grá "Fruit of a thousand loves"

I wonder if Bríd or Braoin are around?

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

Last edited by Breandán on Wed 08 Aug 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edited to fix séimhiú

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018 1:55 pm 

Breandán wrote:
As I said I found Toradh grá na mílte ambiguous, plus na mílte could mean "of the miles", but await other opinions on that.

Possible tweaks:

Toradh grá na mílte duine "Fruit of the love of thousands of people"

Déarfainn:
Toradh ghrá na mílte duine

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018 9:08 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
Breandán wrote:

Possible tweaks:

Déarfainn:

So, grá na mílte duine is treated as a block and lenited to show the genitive relation, is that correct? (Fixed above. :good:)

And the same would apply to Toradh ghrá na mílte, would it not?

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018 10:25 am 

Breandán wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
Breandán wrote:

Possible tweaks:

Déarfainn:

So, grá na mílte duine is treated as a block and lenited to show the genitive relation, is that correct? (Fixed above. :good:)

Yes, it is.

Quote:
And the same would apply to Toradh ghrá na mílte, would it not?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Aug 2018 11:25 am 

So in 'Toradh grá ne mílte' should this 'grá' have a h (gráh)?
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2018 4:16 am 

GemSian wrote:
So in 'Toradh grá ne mílte' should this 'grá' have a h (gráh)?
Thank you.

Toradh ghrá na mílte