All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018 6:57 pm 

Bríd Mhór wrote:
Breandán wrote:
Bríd Mhór wrote:
Just a suggestion:

Is nuair a bhíonn mé ag cruthú a bhíonn mé mé féin.

It’s when I’m creating that I am myself.
That's great, a Bhríd, but I wonder if it will fit on a ring. (We need to know the character limit for the ring.) Is there any way to shorten it?

Nuair a bhíonn mé ag cruthú bíonn mé mé féin.

That's the shortest I can do. :D

That was the only reason I was using bím. ;)

What about:

Agus mé ag cruthú, bím mé féin "While I am creating, I am myself."

Or maybe we should just go for that old standard:

Bí dílis duit féin "Be true to yourself."

Still discussing ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018 7:19 pm 

Breandán wrote:
Bí dílis duit féin "Be true to yourself."

Not exactly what was asked for but the same sentiment. :good:

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jul 2018 9:35 pm 

For the end of the sentence I'd rather use "is" : is mé mé féin.
Or I'd say something different from English: bím ar mo sháimhín só.

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2018 4:08 am 

Lughaidh wrote:

Ah, yes, bíonn mé mé féin is a TSF error. :facepalm:

bím ar mo sháimhín só
"I feel happy and at ease"

Nice expression! :good:

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Wed 22 Aug 2018 6:27 pm 

Breandán wrote:
A Chúmhaí, I invite you to go and read the forum rules, where you will note that it is requested that translations and suggestions in Irish be marked with a bold typeface, using the [ b ] tag, _not_ italics.

Secondly, you appear often to make bold unsubstatiated statements about other people's translations "not sounding right" to your ear or "not being possible in Irish". Those kinds of comments are more indicative of your lack of experience with the language. You would do well to take a leaf out of Labhrás' and Errigal's books. Try to make your statements less emotional and more factual, please.

Breandán wrote:
Do anyone else, preferrably a more advanced speaker, have an objection to fronting ag cruthú in this manner?

Tá mé buartha nár úsáid mé an formáidiú molta chun mo chuid aistriúchán a scríobh. Níor thug mé faoi deara go raibh a leithéad de rialacha ann, agus sin an fáth nár léigh mé iad. Ní as olcas a rinne mé é.

Maidir leis an gcuid eile atá scríofa agat, ní chuirfead aon fhiacail ann. Deir tusa fúm go bhfuil a scríobhaim rómhaoithneach agus gur comhartha é gur duine gan taithí mé leis an teanga. Agus abair liom, a chara, cár chóir duit a leithéid de rud a rá. Céard é, go díreach, a dhéanas go bhfuil tú cinnte go bhfuil mo chuid Gaeilge chomh holc sin agus go bhfuil do chuidse an oiread sin níos fearr? Céard é a thugas cead duit duine eile a dhaoradh mar sin? An té a bhfuil Gaeilge fhoirfe aige caitheadh seisean an chéad chloch. Ní ag baint troda atáim ach mothaím go bhfuil tú san éagóir dhom.

Nuair a deirim 'nach gcloistear i gceart dom' rud éigin -- cá bhfuil an fhadhb ansin, a chara? An coir í anois mo thuairim a chur in iúl? Ní léir dom céard é atá cearr ansin. Nuair a bhíonn mé cinnte de rud deirim é agus nuair nach mbíonn ann ach tuairim, deirim é sin chomh maith. De réir mo thuisceana féin, níor scríobh mé gurbh fhíor rud éigin nárbh fhíor ná gur bhréag rud éigin nár bhréag. Agus nuair nach bhfuil an ceart agam, tá mé sásta go gceartaítear mé. Ní duine mé a bhfuil daoine eile á gcur amú aige mar chaitheamh aimsire nó mar sin.

I ndeireadh na dála braithim nach maith leat nár thaitin an t-aistriúchán a rinne tú liom. Agus tá sé ceart gan a bheith sásta faoi sin. Ach bíodh a fhios agat i ndeireadh an lae nach bhfuil mé ag iarraidh a bheith sa droim ort. Agus tá brón orm má bhraitheann tú go mbím. Níl uaim ach go ndéanfar an t-aistriúchán is fearr is is féidir. Más é an t-aistriúchán a scríobh tusa an t-aistriúchán is fearr dar liom, molfad é. Nílim ach ag déanamh mo dhíchill le bheith cuidiúil.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2018 2:05 am 

Thank you for the rant, Cumhaí. So much for "ní chuirfead aon fhiacail ann." :darklaugh:

As you can see there have been plenty of people jumping in to support your assertion and to correct my translations. :rolleyes:

The forum guidelines recommend the following:

Quote:
Comments and conversations in Irish are welcome but if the original poster has given no indication that they are an advanced speaker, please provide a translation or summary to help them (and other learners) keep up with the conversation.

This is for the benefit of the OP whose thread you have hijacked.

Since you didn't provide a translation, here's how I read part of your rant:

Cúmhaí wrote:
Nuair a deirim 'nach gcloistear i gceart dom' rud éigin -- cá bhfuil an fhadhb ansin, a chara? An coir í anois mo thuairim a chur in iúl? Ní léir dom céard é atá cearr ansin. Nuair a bhíonn mé cinnte de rud deirim é agus nuair nach mbíonn ann ach tuairim, deirim é sin chomh maith. De réir mo thuisceana féin, níor scríobh mé gurbh fhíor rud éigin nárbh fhíor ná gur bhréag rud éigin nár bhréag. Agus nuair nach bhfuil an ceart agam, tá mé sásta go gceartaítear mé. Ní duine mé a bhfuil daoine eile á gcur amú aige mar chaitheamh aimsire nó mar sin.
My translation wrote:
When I say something "doesn't sound right to me -- where is there a problem, friend? Is it a crime now to express my opinion? It is not clear to me what is wrong with there. When I am sure of something I say it and when it is only an opinion, I say that too. According to my own understanding, I've never written that something was true that wasn't not that something was a lie that wasn't a lie. And when I am not right, I am happy to be corrected. I am not a person who misleads others as a pastime or the like.

The thing is, Cumhaí, that only a native speaker is really qualified to say categorically that something "doesn't sound right" in a language - and you are definitely NOT a native speaker.

Therefore it is not a "fact" but merely an opinion and it needs to be tempered with a bit of humility. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but we have to be polite about how we express it. Sometimes what seem like "facts" are only "facts" within the limited scope of our experience and understanding of the language to that point.

I believe it was Redwolf who requested, when we first founded this site (or was it back at the old site), that we not ignore or discount other people's translations without offering a proper explanation.

I am always receptive to corrections from people who can point to reliable resources or whom I know to have sufficient background in the language to be considered reliable sources in themselves.

Your original comment reminds me of a time I was recounting a story to the class, as a student, and I said "Amach liom ansin agus síos an bóthar liom" and the teacher (a non-native) stopped me and said "you can't have a sentence without a verb" - even though Irish does it all the time.

Generally, my offerings are modelled on actual Irish I have read or heard in songs and stories. They are not always infallibly reproduced or applied but, for the most part, nothing I offer is completely made up off the top of my head, so if you feel something I offer is "not possible in Irish", you might want to go and read a bit more. ;)

Anyway, I remain open to correction from those who have good reason to feel my translations need correcting.

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2018 5:08 am 

Breandán wrote:
Lughaidh wrote:

Ah, yes, bíonn mé mé féin is a TSF error. :facepalm:

bím ar mo sháimhín só
"I feel happy and at ease"

Nice expression! :good:

:good:

'gus mé ag cruthú, bím ar mo sháimhín só/ shuaimneas 'When I am creating, I am at ease'.

There's probably too many options already, but:

Bíonn mo chroí im shaothar 'my heart is in my creative endeavour'.

Bíonn mo chroí im cheird 'my heart is in my craft'

(Is) i mo chroí a bhíonn mo cheard (CO ceird?) 'My craft lies in my heart'.

Please wait for corrections/ more input from other forum members before acting on advice

I'm familiar with Munster Irish/ Gaolainn na Mumhan (GM) and the Official Standard/an Caighdeán Oifigiúil (CO)

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct 2018 6:36 pm 

Cúmhaí wrote:

I ndeireadh na dála braithim nach maith leat nár thaitin an t-aistriúchán a rinne tú liom. Agus tá sé ceart gan a bheith sásta faoi sin. Ach bíodh a fhios agat i ndeireadh an lae nach bhfuil mé ag iarraidh a bheith sa droim ort. Agus tá brón orm má bhraitheann tú go mbím. Níl uaim ach go ndéanfar an t-aistriúchán is fearr is is féidir. Más é an t-aistriúchán a scríobh tusa an t-aistriúchán is fearr dar liom, molfad é. Nílim ach ag déanamh mo dhíchill le bheith cuidiúil.

Cúmhaí is a valued member of this forum. I think he always does his best to be helpful, and is polite, and I wouldn't class his statement as a rant. He knows his limits and is mindful of this when giving advice.