Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 3:59 pm 

how would say "rose city" in Irish?
thank you

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 4:25 pm 

Cathair na Rósanna "The Rose City" literally "The City of Roses"

Await confirmation ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 6:54 pm 

agus b'fhéidir - An Chathair Bhándearg ?

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 7:06 pm 

franc 91 wrote:
agus b'fhéidir - An Chathair Bhándearg ?

That would mean "The Pink City" to me, Franc.

I don't think "rose" is used as a colour in English without adding the suffix "-coloured" as in "rose-coloured glasses".

For Portland Oregon at least (if that is what's meant?), I'm pretty sure it refers to the flowers. ;)

Apparently Jaipur, India, is referred to as "The Pink City".

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 7:15 pm 

Well in France there's Toulouse - la Ville Rose - because that's the colour of the buildings there.

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 8:24 pm 

and there's La Vie en Rose too!

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 8:51 pm 

People from Toulouse call their home town "ma ville en rose". :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri 28 Oct 2011 10:05 pm 

Breandán wrote:
I don't think "rose" is used as a colour in English without adding the suffix "-coloured" as in "rose-coloured glasses".

Only very rarely, at least. ‘The rose (and gold) of dawn’ is the only setting I can think of. It is technically a specified colour, precisely halfway between red and magenta apparently … but then again, according to that page, so are ‘tickle me pink’, ‘rose bonbon’, and ‘razzmatazz’—and I’ve certainly never heard anyone describe anything (least of all a city) as any of those outside of very technical jargon.

Always wait for at least three people to agree on a translation, especially if it’s for something permanent.

My translations are usually GU (Ulster Irish), unless CO (Standard Orthography) is requested.

PostPosted: Sat 29 Oct 2011 6:18 am 

If this is about Portland, it's definitely about the flower. Just as when we refer to my hometown of Spokane as "The Lilac City," we're referring to the flower, not to a pale purple. Portland is very proud of the fine roses grown in that part of Oregon.

We would only ever use "rose" as a color in English (without qualifying it with the word "colored") if it were very clear that color was what we were talking about. So if you were asking someone what color she wanted to paint her room and she said "Oh, maybe a soft rose," you'd understand she was talking about pink, but otherwise the flower is generally assumed.

Redwolf