It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2020 8:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012 1:04 pm 

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and though I am of neither Irish or Scottish background, I am hoping to get help tranlating some lyrics. It's actually the spoken word intro to a song by one of my 80's favourites, synth-rock group 'Strange Advance'. To be honest, I'm not sure whether this is Irish or Scottish Gaelic - the credits on the CD only make reference to a 'Gaelic voiceover' but nothing more. I've always been curious as to their meaning and how it relates to the rest of the song.

Here is the sample mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?n4vf855h1on18s3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon 12 Mar 2012 10:41 pm 

Quote:
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and though I am of neither Irish or Scottish background, I am hoping to get help tranlating some lyrics. It's actually the spoken word intro to a song by one of my 80's favourites, synth-rock group 'Strange Advance'. To be honest, I'm not sure whether this is Irish or Scottish Gaelic - the credits on the CD only make reference to a 'Gaelic voiceover' but nothing more. I've always been curious as to their meaning and how it relates to the rest of the song.

Here is the sample mp3:
http://www.mediafire.com/?n4vf855h1on18s3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is definitely Scottish Gaelic, and I can make out most of it, but am missing some key words, because they are hard to hear or my ear is just not good enough to make them out. As a result, parts of it seemed quite odd at first, although I worked out most of the oddities eventually and fixed my grammar bloopers (this has been edited multiple times as I re-listened to it). There are several other people with some Gaelic here, and they may be able to make out the rest (and/or correct what I have). If you tell me what the song is about, that might also help me hear some of the words better.

Ciamar a tha thu [thu should be sibh if two people are addressed, so unsure of next line]
How are you
Eòghainn is Treasa?
Ewan and Theresa?
Tha mi an dòchas gu bheil sibh na ____
I hope that you are _____
Chunaic mi na dealbhan
I saw the photos
's an taigh ùr ____
and the new house ______
Tha mi a’ tighinn gach aon bliadhna anseo
I come here every single year
‘s bidh cèilidh mhòr againn
and we'll have a big party
‘s thèid sinn gun an Hearach 's
and we'll go to Harris [one of the isles in the Hebrides] and
bidh sin cèilidh aig Nòra 's rùn___
and Nora will have a party there and ____
‘s tha mi an dòchas gu bheil sibh ____
and I hope that you are ______
‘s thèid sinn gu Sgalpaigh
and we'll go to Scalpay [another of the isles in the Hebrides]
's bidh sinn ceathrar, ma ri bheag ‘s ma ri mhòr [still not sure about some words here]
and there will be four people, more or less
agus na ___ sin, aig a’ phost-oifis
and the __ there, at the post office
Bhuel, a ghràidh, tha mi a' falbh an-dràsta
Well, my dear(s), I'm going now
agus bidh sinn gur faicinn
and we'll be seeing you
suas leis a' ghealach [still not sure about this word]
[going] up with the moon
Oidhche Mhath!
Good night!

Last edited by CaoimhínSF on Wed 25 Apr 2012 11:30 pm, edited 17 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012 1:39 pm 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
It is definitely Scottish Gaelic, and I can make out most of it, but am missing some key words, because they are hard to hear or my ear is just not good enough to make them out. As a result, parts of it seem quite odd. I'll post what I have thus far, because there are several other people with some Gaelic here, and they may be able to make out the rest (and/or correct what I have). If you tell me what the song is about, that might also help me hear some of the words better.

Ciamar a tha thu?
How are you?
[M'ainm?] is Treasa [the structure here is odd, so I may be mishearing something]
I am Theresa
Tha mi an dòchas gu bheil sibh na ____
I hope that you are the [?]
Chunaic mi na dealbhan
I saw the images/pictures/photos/visions [could be any of these, and which isn't clear from the context]
san taigh ùr aig an snag [what I'm hearing as snag might be a place name unfamiliar to me]
in the new house, on knocking
Tha mi a’ tighinn gach aon bliadhna anseo
I come here every single year
‘s b'e _____ mhòr e ____
and it was a large ________
‘s thèid sinn gun an Hearach
and we went to Harris [one of the isles in the Hebrides]
b'e sin ____ aig an [or] ‘s aig ____
It was ____ at the [edge] and at ____
‘s tha mi an dòchas gu bheil sibh ____ gu sgeadachadh
and I hope that you are ______ [adorned/embellished??]
‘s thèid sinn gu Sgalpaigh
and we went to Scalpay [another of the isles in the Hebrides]
b'e sin _____ mar i bheag ‘s mar i mhòr
it was ____, more or less ? ["whether it's big or little"]
agus na ___ sin, aig a’ phost-oifis
and the __ there, at the post office
suas leis aig ealadh
up to the tomb ??? [last word hard to make out]
Oidhche Mhath!
Good night!

Strange Advance had a tendency towards 'futuristic' themes in their music and some of their songs had elements of science-fiction in them - this particular one being a perfect example. It is called 'Nor Crystal Tears' and it and it is about the brotherly bonds between two beings who are both isolated by distance and outwardly, completely alien.

The lyrics are as follows:

Watch the shadows fall on neon plain
Sunset on the empire, far away
You're a man in a uniform
Lonely outpost, never home
Where are you?

But your only friend is by your side
Understands with a multi-facet eye
Antennae wave with a solemn grace
Brothers, flesh and carapace
Who are you?

Chorus

When all is said and done
What is there to fear?
Neither pain nor words of love
Nor crystal tears

When all is said and done
What will keep you here?
Neither fear nor words of love
Nor crystal tears

So you live in a soft eternal way
Tracing years, different worlds no longer strange
You grow older, feel deeper blue
Like his armor he feels it too
Who are you?

Chorus

Thank you so much for taking the time to translate this for me. Although the words don't seem immediately linked to the lyrics, it would seem that they set the emotional tone for the ballad that follows them.

I've always been curious about this intro and it's satisfying to finally have some inkling as to their meaning. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue 13 Mar 2012 9:54 pm 

Quote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to translate this for me. Although the words don't seem immediately linked to the lyrics, it would seem that they set the emotional tone for the ballad that follows them.

I've always been curious about this intro and it's satisfying to finally have some inkling as to their meaning. Thanks again, it is greatly appreciated.

I've already modified the translation in quite a few places, and managed to get almost all of it (while fixing some of my own bad grammar). Some things just jump out at you as obvious suddenly when you hear them again (I'm still a learner -- a native speaker would have gotten them right away), and most of the oddities are gone now. I'll keep trying from time to time, so if you check back at my original post new changes may continue to appear.

PostPosted: Tue 27 Mar 2012 2:59 am 

CaoimhínSF wrote:
Quote:
I've already modified the translation in quite a few places, and managed to get almost all of it (while fixing some of my own bad grammar). Some things just jump out at you as obvious suddenly when you hear them again (I'm still a learner -- a native speaker would have gotten them right away), and most of the oddities are gone now. I'll keep trying from time to time, so if you check back at my original post new changes may continue to appear.

Thanks again CaoimhinSF, I've noticed that your response has 14 edits thusfar. I appreciate the courtesy that you've extended and the attention you have given my request.

Cheers! :toast: