It is currently Mon 28 Sep 2020 7:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 5:52 pm 

Hi, I would like to know the translation for the name "Kirsty" please. Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the Scots Gaelic alphabet? Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed 24 Oct 2012 9:56 pm 

Quote:
Hi, I would like to know the translation for the name "Kirsty" please. Also I was wondering if anyone could tell me where to find the Scots Gaelic alphabet? Thank you!

The Scottish Gaelic form of Kirsty is Ciorstaidh, with no accents in it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "Scots Gaelic alphabet", and, by the way, the word "Scots" is not normally used nowadays as an adjective with Gaelic, because it can lead to confusion with the word "Scots", which is used to refer to the Scottish dialect of English.

Except for an ancient period (more than 1500 years ago) when some things (usually just very brief inscriptions) were written with the old Ogham script, Gaelic in both Ireland and Scotland has always been written with the Roman alphabet. The Irish did use the old sean-chló font/script which may be what you are seeking, but the letters were still Roman letters. If the old fonts are what you want, here's a link to an online source for several different variations: http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/~oduibhin/mearchlar/fonts.htm#Free

That link takes you to part of the site for Sabhal Mor Ostaig, a Gaelic college on the Isle of Skye, and the other pages of that site have loads of info re Scottish Gaelic.

In fact, Scottish Gaelic speakers wrote in Irish until around the 16th century, and there was no separate written form of Scottish Gaelic. They continued to do that, even though their speech had already begun diverging from that of Irish Gaelic speakers in various ways. Starting around the time of the reformation, the Scottish Gaels started writing things more in the way that they were actually saying them, starting the process of differentiation from written Irish Gaelic (a process which is still underway to some extent, although there has been much more standardization in Scottish Gaelic spelling etc. in the last few decades). Since the printing press was around by the time that this all started, the Scottish Gaels generally used modern Roman alphabet fonts, so Scottish Gaelic, as a separate written language, was rarely ever written with the sean-chló fonts. Even when the Bible was first translated into Scottish Gaelic about 250 years ago, the printers used a modern Roman font.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Oct 2012 12:53 pm 

Sorry alphabet was the wrong word. I meant glyphs. Thank you very much for your reply it was very helpful.