It is currently Tue 21 May 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2024 9:37 pm 

Hi I was wondering how to pronounce the phrase Your Day Will Come Palestine.
Tiocfaidh bhur lá Phalaistín!

I know Tiocfaidh Ar La is pronounced Chucka Are Lah. So can you tell me how to pronounce this? Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:27 pm 

CanadaIrish wrote:
Hi I was wondering how to pronounce the phrase Your Day Will Come Palestine.
Tiocfaidh bhur lá Phalaistín!

I know Tiocfaidh Ar La is pronounced Chucka Are Lah. So can you tell me how to pronounce this? Thanks.

Setting aside the pronunciation for a second, the prase itself is a bit odd. You'd expect a vocative particle before the word Palaistín, because you're addressing the country, not speaking about it:

Tiocfaidh bhur lá, a Phalaistín

The next part I'm not so sure about, so you may need to wait for others to add their voices to the conversation, but I don't think bhur is the correct possessive pronoun here. On the one hand, you're obviously addressing the people of Palestine with this statement, so on the surface it seems to make sense to use the plural possessive pronoun, bhur. However, you're literally addressing the country at the end, which is the singular form of a feminine proper noun. This suggests to me that you should be using the singular possessive pronoun, do:

Tiocfaidh do lá, a Phalaistín

But, then again, that's still odd. It's like talking to the physical ground, or the concept of the country, not the people who live there. I suspect that in Irish, if this kind of construction is possible at all, it's probably been a recent inheritance from English. A more natural way to say it in Irish is probably to alter the phrase slightly so as to literally address the people of the country:

Tiocfaidh bhur lá, a mhuintir na Palaistín = your day will come, people of Palestine

Actually, if you want to be particularly creative about it, you could leave out the vocative portion entirely in favour of allowing a rhyme which implies you're talking to Palestinians:

Ó abhainn go trá, tiocfaidh bhur lá = from river to sea (lit. beach/strand), your day will come

Moving back to pronunciation, I know there will be dialectal differences between how I would say this, and how many others would, but I don't think anybody would pronounce the phrase, tocfaidh ár lá, as you've written it out above. Based on how you transcribe the pronunciation of as "lah", I'm presuming you're aiming for an Ulster-ish pronunciation. In this case you should be aiming for something more along the lines of: chuckie aahr laah

I'm going to hold off giving a pronunciation guide for either of the transcriptions I've given above until we know which one we're going with, and maybe you could tell us whether you're looking for any particular variety of dialectal pronunciation too.

Last edited by Ade on Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:34 pm 

Thanks. Im basically trying to say Your Day Will Come Palestine. Like Tiocfaidh Ar La was used in the North of Ireland to say Ireland will be united. I want to use the phrase at protests I go to. Because what is going on in Gaza is horrible. :( I know basic Irish because my mother and friends taught me.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:43 pm 

CanadaIrish wrote:
Thanks. Im basically trying to say Your Day Will Come Palestine. Like Tiocfaidh Ar La was used in the North of Ireland to say Ireland will be united. I want to use the phrase at protests I go to. Because what is going on in Gaza is horrible. :( I know basic Irish because my mother and friends taught me.

See my latest edit, which I made while you were responding there. If you like one or more of the alternatives I suggested I can help you with the pronunciation.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2024 10:47 pm 

Yes please tell me how to pronounce Ó abhainn go trá, tiocfaidh bhur lá. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2024 11:03 pm 

With Palestine in the phrase please. Going to a protest and they won't let us say from the river to the sea.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2024 1:20 am 

CanadaIrish wrote:
With Palestine in the phrase please. Going to a protest and they won't let us say from the river to the sea.

"They" are organising a protest in support of Palestine, but "won't let" you use a phrase which simply advocates Palestinian emancipation. Even if it's translated into Irish, "they" will somehow know what it says and won't allow it, yet they're happy for you to use a phrase which similarly advocates Irish emancipation, in Irish. Whoever "they" are, they'd want to get their priorities straightened out.

In any case:

Tiocfaidh bhur lá, a mhuintir na Palaistín = CHUCK-ig voor law, ah VWEEN-tir nah PAL-ish-teen

This is only a very rough guide to how I would pronounce it, using only phonemes that exist in English. The bits in caps are where the stress falls on multi-syllabic words. Others on here, particularly those more familiar with other dialects, would likely give different pronunciations.

As I said, if you want either of the other two phrases, the ones that use the vocative with the proper noun, I'd wait for more input from other users.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2024 1:31 am 

CanadaIrish wrote:

Say it anyway!!! No-one should be stopping you from saying that! Zionist leaders including Chaim Weizmann (who became the first president of Israel) at the 1919 Versailles Peace Conference called for Palestine to be "as Jewish as England is English". In 1937 David Ben-Gurion (who became first prime minister of Israel) wrote "The compulsory transfer of the Arabs from the valleys of the proposed Jewish state could give us something which we never had ... a Galilee free from Arab population .... We must uproot from our hearts the assumption that the thing is not possible. It can be done". "Transfer" was the Zionist word for ethnic cleansing. Zionism has, from the very start in the 1890s, always been a political project that "from the river to the sea" Palestine would eventually be 100% Jewish. There is absolutely no reason why you should not call for replacement of Israel by a state that afforded equal rights to all Jews and Arabs in Palestine.

Saying it in Irish will not be understood by any Palestinians or anyone else either. It is just a silly stunt. You can only call for freedom in Palestine by saying it in the language the media understand - and that is English.

Last edited by djwebb2021 on Thu 25 Apr 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2024 1:33 am 

bhur is pronounced úr in Munster (oohr) - there is no "v".

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2024 1:34 am 

Yes the US banned the word and Canada usually follows suit. It's ridiculous since they have the first amendment and freedom of speech.
Ok thanks I will wait till others add input since its so late in Ireland. Yes maybe I'll say it in Arabic. Just a bit frustrated.