It is currently Sun 14 Jul 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed 05 Jun 2013 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
Lest you think that only Ireland has dialect woes!

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps- ... 013-6?op=1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun 2013 5:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 04 Sep 2011 11:02 pm
Posts: 1578
Very interesting, but not entirely accurate, especially the Mary/marry/merry distinction. They are all three totally different throughout the South.

Also, having spent a year in Massachusetts, I know the "watah bubblah" area is much larger than he says.

_________________
I'm not a native (or entirely fluent) speaker, so be sure to wait for confirmations/corrections, especially for tattoos.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri 07 Jun 2013 6:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun 28 Aug 2011 8:44 pm
Posts: 3512
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains, California, USA
CaoimhínSF wrote:
Very interesting, but not entirely accurate, especially the Mary/marry/merry distinction. They are all three totally different throughout the South.

Also, having spent a year in Massachusetts, I know the "watah bubblah" area is much larger than he says.


Tony and I both noted that it was ridiculous that his only choices for "The City" were "New York," "Chicago," and "Other." Seriously?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gycSdvG8ktI

There's only one "City" on this side of the country!

Redwolf


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2023 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 22 Dec 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 415
Location: Corcaigh
I thought Redwolf had made a return when I saw this pop up.

I wonder what happened to her, and a whole cohort of members who used to be very frequent contributors to the forum.

I also wonder how so many bots keep slipping through the cracks and making accounts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2023 10:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 20 Sep 2023 9:13 pm
Posts: 172
Ade wrote:
I thought Redwolf had made a return when I saw this pop up.

I wonder what happened to her, and a whole cohort of members who used to be very frequent contributors to the forum.

I also wonder how so many bots keep slipping through the cracks and making accounts.


Why are Bing and Google bot always browsing the forum?

_________________
I recommend to learn Irish pronunciation on doegen.ie
Scottish Gaelic pronunciation on tobarandualchais.co.uk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 31 Oct 2023 10:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 22 Dec 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 415
Location: Corcaigh
Ceanntuigheoireacht6 wrote:
Why are Bing and Google bot always browsing the forum?


That's to catalogue what's been written on the forum. For example, if someone googles how to translate something specific, Google and Bing need to know what's been written here to know if they should direct someone to a specific thread on the forum. Their bots come, check what's been written, and keep a record of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2023 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 679
Ade wrote:
I thought Redwolf had made a return when I saw this pop up.

I wonder what happened to her, and a whole cohort of members who used to be very frequent contributors to the forum.

I also wonder how so many bots keep slipping through the cracks and making accounts.


Yeah, some of those people were good and we had a fair record of getting translations done through consensus, although it wasn’t perfect. There were at least a few requests daily.

As a “moderator”, I still really don’t understand how registration to post on the forum works. It seems any entity can become a poster.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2023 2:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 22 Dec 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 415
Location: Corcaigh
tiomluasocein wrote:
Yeah, some of those people were good and we had a fair record of getting translations done through consensus, although it wasn’t perfect. There were at least a few requests daily.

As a “moderator”, I still really don’t understand how registration to post on the forum works. It seems any entity can become a poster.


It was nice to have more voices in the choir. It tended to balance the opinions somewhat. And, needless to say, having more eyes on the prize certainly caught a few questionable translations from time to time, which might otherwise have slipped through the cracks, (and many of which I was guilty of contributing myself :oops: ).

It's a long time since I joined up. It was back when the forum changed web-address and all of us who were on the old forum (the Irish learners' forum I think it was) had to make new accounts here. Even then, though, I think there was some safeguard against bots, like having to complete a captcha and verify an email address.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2023 6:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 679
Ade wrote:
It was nice to have more voices in the choir. It tended to balance the opinions somewhat. And, needless to say, having more eyes on the prize certainly caught a few questionable translations from time to time, which might otherwise have slipped through the cracks, (and many of which I was guilty of contributing myself :oops: ).

It's a long time since I joined up. It was back when the forum changed web-address and all of us who were on the old forum (the Irish learners' forum I think it was) had to make new accounts here. Even then, though, I think there was some safeguard against bots, like having to complete a captcha and verify an email address.


You were Ade then, too, right? I was "The Guy [and then the Goy] from Japan". I chose "goy" because it was a play on Daniel who was Jewish. Then I found out "goy" was a code word for gay. :LOL: Hence, the new handle here.

Do you remember that one translation from Shakespeare (Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war; . . .)? That ended up being a real fiasco and the guy ended up tatooing it on his chest. There were a few others like that.

Then there was that postcard that was written "phonetically" and no one could figure out what it meant. I think we went over that for about 25 pages with all sorts of really hilarious guesses until finally some wiseacre came up with something silly like "'The girls are frisky over here,' said one priest to the other." And he was right!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 01 Nov 2023 2:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu 22 Dec 2011 6:28 am
Posts: 415
Location: Corcaigh
tiomluasocein wrote:
You were Ade then, too, right? I was "The Guy [and then the Goy] from Japan". I chose "goy" because it was a play on Daniel who was Jewish. Then I found out "goy" was a code word for gay. :LOL: Hence, the new handle here.


I remember that handle now that you mention it, but I'd completely forgotten. :rofl:

Yeah, I've been Ade the whole time.

tiomluasocein wrote:
Do you remember that one translation from Shakespeare (Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war; . . .)? That ended up being a real fiasco and the guy ended up tatooing it on his chest. There were a few others like that.


I don't remember that particular catastrophe, but it sounds hilarious! Clearly having more active members didn't catch every error. :hide:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beepbopboop, Google [Bot] and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group