Please click here to view the forum rules

Which would you prefer:
Poll ended at Sun 10 Jun 2012 11:26 pm
All of the old categories 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Single forum only 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Forum plus a few categories such as "Useful Links" 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2012 11:26 pm 

Some people had trouble voting in the poll in the NEW FORMAT thread, perhaps because I added the poll mid-thread, so I've made a new poll.

Please add your vote here even if you already voted in the old poll.

If you think we should have only some categories from the old ones, or different categories from what we had, please suggest them in this thread.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Fri 02 Mar 2012 11:40 pm 

Doesn't register.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2012 12:02 am 

I can't vote, but that's likely because i am categorized as a 'newly registered user' as opposed to 'registered user' and most standard setting don't give newly registered users poll privileges. Which, being new here, i am alright with, but in case others are wondering why they can't vote, double-check your user status.

:)

djinni

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2012 3:14 pm 

I really preferred the old format, but there was some room to trim down the number of categories.

Pronunciation, Michael O'Siadhal's Learning Irish, and the various dialect sections all dealt with topics that could easily be posted in the Learner's Corner. And the Names section was unnecessary, as any requests posted there could be covered by the Translation section.

My vote is to keep all the categories apart from those ones.

PostPosted: Sat 03 Mar 2012 3:31 pm 

You have your work cut out for you, a Bhreandán (I never know if there should be an 'i' after the 'á' - please advise!). Your task, should you choose to accept it, is to bring together two tribes, with similar goals, but different rituals. Bail ó Dhia ar an obair!

Is it possible (I know nothing about these things) to keep your categories but have an option to click on a button that simply shows everything as they came in? That way, the categories are there for those who want them, but basically can be ignored by those who don't?

I used to click on 'view your posts' and 'view unread posts' all the time and only looked at the different categories when I was beginning a thread. There was no real inconvenience for me. The only category I actually used as a category was the 'useful links' one. Everything else was jumbled together in 'view your posts' and 'view unread posts'.

I don't envy your task.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar 2012 3:48 pm 

I actually don't remember ALL the categories as I always went to the new posts and that link Breandán gave us for chronological order first.

Scottish Gaelic could have it's own space too.

It is recommended that you always wait for three to agree on a translation.
I speak Connemara Irish, and my input will often reflect that.
I will do an mp3 file on request for short translations.

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar 2012 11:44 pm 

Try another Browser Beagle.

Those under 10 posts are unlikely to be able to vote.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012 1:16 am 

I really prefer the new style. I can see having a few categories (I agree with Scottish Gaelic having its own forum, for one thing, and perhaps one for people interested in Ó Siadhal), but I really like being able to see the majority of posts in one place. I've been on several forums with multiple-forum formats, and they always feel to me as if there's this wall that has to be navigated...the more clicking I have to do to find the post I'm interested in, the less likely I am to do it.

Perhaps, if we want to have more than one, we could limit it to four:

Main forum (for everything but the below)
Ó Siadhal (since there did seem to be a lot of interest in this)
Scottish Gaelic
Gaeilge Amháin (No English allowed...for those who want to practice conversing in Irish)

I can't see having separate forums for the dialects, however, or for different kinds of translations, or even for humor and games (it always seemed to work well at IGTF, and to keep the mood light, by having the fun stuff mixed up with the more serious stuff).

Redwolf

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012 1:36 am 

I agree Redwolf. I prefer it too. More of a sense of community when most of the threads are together.
But I feel bad for Breandán. :(

If you want to get the useful links together in one place again Breandán most of them are found under the "unanswered posts" link.

Us mods should probably go back on the old threads and tag them appropriately.

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar 2012 2:06 am 

Redwolf wrote:
Perhaps, if we want to have more than one, we could limit it to four:

Main forum (for everything but the below)
Ó Siadhal (since there did seem to be a lot of interest in this)
Scottish Gaelic
Gaeilge Amháin (No English allowed...for those who want to practice conversing in Irish)
Those look good, Redwolf. I wasn't going to bother with Ó Siadhail but it was one of the first things to draw people's attention to ILF as a search parameter. (In fact, most of the forum headings seem to have a good draw on the search engines, i.e., if you searched for any of those terms, ILF came up pretty early in the results. )

I think one for Naisc Úsáideacha - Useful Links would be good too, as Saoirse suggested.

For those who will feel it is still too much, there really isn't any need to "navigate". You just have to click on "View unread posts", "View new posts", "View your posts, "View unanswered posts", or "View active topics" and the format is instantly the same as IGTF, if for a smaller subset of posts.

Bríd has also suggested a link to a search is even better as it really did bring up exactly the same format as IGTF, and I was comtemplating adding it as a link next to the above.

Here's the link:

search.php?keywords=*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

(Crossed with Bríd)
Bríd Mhór wrote:
I agree Redwolf. I prefer it too. More of a sense of community when most of the threads are together.
But I feel bad for Breandán. :(
No problem, really, a Bhríd, we may end up with a smaller set of headings that is easier to manage while still looking interesting enough to draw outsiders. ;)

Bríd Mhór wrote:
If you want to get the useful links together in one place again Breandán most of them are found under the "unanswered posts" link.

Us mods should probably go back on the old threads and tag them appropriately.
Good hint for finding the links, thanks. I found most of the SG's easy enough (plus some that had sg for singular or got moved back to Irish when people found out it was a different language.)

I might make up those headings and then get mods to move topics if they come across any that are obviously in the wrong place.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).