It is currently Fri 29 Mar 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar 2023 7:58 am 

Hi there!

I'm looking for correct translation of a few phrases for art prints please - granted some might not work, so maybe alternative suggestions are welcome!

"This is my happy place"

I'd rather be in the garden

Let the wildflowers grow

Me, my plants and I

Home is where my/the plants are

Thank you in advance!

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar 2023 4:29 pm 

Home is where the plants are.

Well, "home is where the heart is" is "níl aon tínteán mar do thínteán féin".

Maybe: níl aon cheapach bláthanna mar do cheapach bláthanna féin.

it feels like translationese, of course...

de Bhaldraithe has for "there's no place like home" "sa bhaile a bhíos mil ar chuiseoga". Literally, it is at home that there is honey on the stalks (a plant-like reference). It can be "a bhíos", "a bhíonn" or "a bhíonns" here.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Mar 2023 4:15 am 

Bláithín wrote:
Hi there!

I'm looking for correct translation of a few phrases for art prints please - granted some might not work, so maybe alternative suggestions are welcome!

"This is my happy place"

I'd rather be in the garden

Let the wildflowers grow

Me, my plants and I

Home is where my/the plants are

Thank you in advance!

Like djwebb, at the risk of using translationese . . .

This is my happy place. > Is é seo m'áit an tsonais é. (Patterned after the phrase "uair an tsonais", but this sounds like Béarlachas [an Anglicism].) Another possibility is to use "dídean" which means "refuge/haven". > Is í mo dhídean í. But maybe something like Seo áit an-suaimhneach atá ann (dom?). > This is a haven of peace (for me).

I'd rather be in the garden. > B'fhearr liom b(h)eith sa ghairdín.

Me, my plants, and I. > Mise féin agus mo phlandaí.

Home is where my/the plants are. > I like djwebb's translation although to be more literal, you could use "phlandaí" in place of "cheapach bláthanna" although that is up for discussion along with the rest of my translations. It takes a while to get something reasonable and good so please wait until others have commented before you accept anything from me.

Cheers,

Tim

PostPosted: Sun 19 Mar 2023 11:12 pm 

Go bhfása na bláthanna léana.
Let the wildflowers grow ("May the wildflowers grow").

PostPosted: Mon 20 Mar 2023 9:25 pm 

This is no doubt a waste of time since Bláithín seems to have lost interest - still it's good for me to practise.

- Home is where my/the plants are:

- An áit a mbíonn mo chuid plandaí/na plandaí, is ann atá mo chroí (Where my/the plants are, there my heart is/My heart's where my plants are)

or:

-An áit a mbíonn mo chuid plandaí/na plandaí is é is baile dom

- Me, my plants, and I:

- Mise, mé féin agus mo chuid plandaí/na plandaí

Tim, 'bheith' is permanently lenited. 'Is é seo m'áit an tsonais é' - if you use 'seo/sin/siud' you don't use the second 'é'. Also, AFAIK two "definites" - in this case the possessive and the def. article - aren't normally used together, unless 'áit an tsonais' can be considered as a single unit, in which case I think they can be.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2023 9:21 pm 

Errigal wrote:

An áit a mbíonn mo chuid plandaí/na plandaí, is ann atá mo chroí[/i] (Where my/the plants are, there my heart is/My heart's where my plants are)

Would there by an inconsistency here since the first (subordinate) clause uses the habitual present tense form of the verb "Bí" i.e. "bíonn", whereas the main clause uses the non-habitual present tense form i.e "tá"? [I'm not sure what the techinical term is for "non-habitual".]

Maybe this would be better: An áit a mbíonn mo chuid plandaí/na plandaí, is ann a bhíonn mo chroí.

Otoh, the habitual form might imply interruptions to the state/condition being described i.e. an intermittent state i.e. it might imply that there are times when one's heart is not where one's flowers are, or it might even imply that the flowers aren't always in the one location. :rolleyes:

So maybe the following would be better: An áit atá mo chuid plandaí/na plandaí, is ann atá mo chroí. I think this would describe a continuous state/condition, without interruptions.

...Although, having reread it, I think "bíonn" is better than "tá" after all, although I can't say why.

Last edited by Caoilte on Thu 23 Mar 2023 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2023 9:39 pm 

tiomluasocein wrote:
This is my happy place. > Is é seo m'áit an tsonais é.

Errigal wrote:
AFAIK two "definites" - in this case the possessive and the def. article - aren't normally used together, unless 'áit an tsonais' can be considered as a single unit, in which case I think they can be.

The phrase "m'áit an tsonais" does sound off to me as well. It seems similar to saying something like "an ceann an fhir" ("the man's the head") instead of the correct "ceann an fhir" ("the man's head"). This mistake could be described as the use of a double definite. And since the possessive adjective "mo" also has the effect of making a noun definite, the phrase "m'áit an tsonais" could also be described as using a double definite (as Errigal indicated). Maybe instead, "áit mo shonais" (the place of my happiness) would work here.

But, as Errigal suggests, maybe it would be acceptable to use a double definite construct for established phrases that are considered a single unit. Not that I can think of any examples.

--

This reminds me of the phrase "Pandora's box" in English. "Pandora" is a personal name, so "Pandora's box" is a definite phrase. Therefore, from a strict grammatical perspective, it might seem incongruous to say the phrase "a Pandora's box", where a definite noun phrase is turned back into an indefinite noun phrase. And yet, the use of the indefinite article here is generally considered acceptable.

--

Otoh, I recently came across the following screenshot text on Twitter (apparently from Galway County Council). "Muna bhfuil tú i d'úinéir an mhadra seo faoi láthair / nó go bhfuil do mhadra tar éis bás a fháil / nó tá do sheoladh athraithe, dean [sic] teagmháil le Comhairle Chontae na Gaillimhe"

The first thing that struck me about this was the use of "i d'úinéir an mhadra", which also sounded off to me since this is essentially the double definite at play again. I wonder if this is correct Irish. If not correct, I'm not sure what would be correct. Maybe the following would be correct: "i d'úinéir ar an mhadra seo".

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2023 10:15 pm 

i d'úinéir an mhadra seo is OK. One of the elements of a definite noun phrase can have a demonstrative adjective.

I don't like mura bhfuil tú i t'úinéir an mhadra so, because the i+noun in the dative construction strikes me as originally referring to a temporary role, and therefore not a full equivalent of the copula of identification. It may be that learners love this construction because it avoids the copula?

What about mura húinéir an mhadra so thu?

Peadar ua Laoghaire had mura +h before a vowel in the copula, but there is only one attested example.

Or: murab amhlaidh gur leat féin an madra so? Or murab amhlaidh gur úinéir ar an madra so thu? or murab amhlaidh gur tusa is úinéir ar an madra so?

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2023 10:44 pm 

djwebb2021 wrote:
i d'úinéir an mhadra seo

I don't like mura bhfuil tú i t'úinéir an mhadra so, because the i+noun in the dative construction strikes me as originally referring to a temporary role, and therefore not a full equivalent of the copula of identification. It may be that learners love this construction because it avoids the copula?

Interesting. I hadn't thought about that.

PostPosted: Thu 23 Mar 2023 10:51 pm 

Caoilte wrote:
I recently came across the following screenshot text on Twitter (apparently from Galway County Council). "Muna bhfuil tú i d'úinéir an mhadra seo faoi láthair / nó go bhfuil do mhadra tar éis bás a fháil / nó tá do sheoladh athraithe, dean [sic] teagmháil le Comhairle Chontae na Gaillimhe[/color]"

One other observation I had is an inconsistency in the links between the clauses. The parts in red seem off to me.

I would re-write them as below.

"Muna bhfuil tú i d'úinéir an mhadra seo faoi láthair / nó má tá do mhadra tar éis bás a fháil / nó má tá do sheoladh athraithe, dean [sic] teagmháil le Comhairle Chontae na Gaillimhe"