It is currently Wed 30 Nov 2022 8:07 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2022 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 06 Feb 2021 2:28 am
Posts: 8
I was wondering, is it possible that the following words and phrases belong to Cois Fharraige?

Gnaithe, eicínt, sol má, a bheas, a bhíonns, méir, tilleadh, ar chúla, ar (as a possessive), 'ur (possessive), caraid, leitir, driofúr, úlla (nominative singular), mara (instead of 'mura'), uilig, feilm, inín, muic, soibhir, bróig, amáireach, farc, spúnóig, etc.

The sources are a worksheet and an answer sheet found in Internet, published by the permission of N. Stenson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat 20 Aug 2022 10:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2014 10:03 pm
Posts: 502
Location: SAM
Yes, they are. They're part of her worksheet for extra exercises from Learning Irish, aren't they?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 9:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1611
Yes, typical "Learning Irish" spelling


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 27 May 2021 3:22 am
Posts: 490
caraid, inín, muic, bróig, spúnóig: these are all instances of where the erstwhile dative has become the nominative in Cois Fharraige.

A bheas: the correct relative form of the verb

A bhíonns: a colloquial variant, combining a bhíonn and a bheas.

Sol má: must mean sara/sula.

I can't comment on the rest.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1611
djwebb2021 wrote:
caraid, inín, muic, bróig, spúnóig: these are all instances of where the erstwhile dative has become the nominative in Cois Fharraige.

A bheas: the correct relative form of the verb

A bhíonns: a colloquial variant, combining a bhíonn and a bheas.


a bheas is future tense
a bhíonns is present habitual (traditionally a bhíos)

Quote:
Sol má: must mean sara/sula.


Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 27 May 2021 3:22 am
Posts: 490
Labhrás wrote:
djwebb2021 wrote:
caraid, inín, muic, bróig, spúnóig: these are all instances of where the erstwhile dative has become the nominative in Cois Fharraige.

A bheas: the correct relative form of the verb

A bhíonns: a colloquial variant, combining a bhíonn and a bheas.


a bheas is future tense
a bhíonns is present habitual (traditionally a bhíos)

Quote:
Sol má: must mean sara/sula.


Yes.

Ah, yes, thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 21 Aug 2022 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat 06 Feb 2021 2:28 am
Posts: 8
galaxyrocker wrote:
Yes, they are. They're part of her worksheet for extra exercises from Learning Irish, aren't they?


It seems to be so. Unfortunately the worksheet/answers are the only things I have, no textbook. Thank you for the confirmation.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group