It is currently Sun 25 Sep 2022 8:17 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2022 9:43 pm 

I've been trying to look around online for a while, and theirs lots of conflicting information on these terminologies in Irish. I know Anam Chara isn't real about two lovers and is more friends or spiritual connection of some sort. And theirs a few different meanings I've come across for Eternal Love - Mo Shíorghrá and Mo Bhuanghrá, which I don't know how to pronounce.

I'm writing some fictional stories and I need something that is very similar to what souls mates or two people who are destined for each, if theirs something very close or almost close enough to have the same meaning but an Irish word for it. Does anyone know? And how is it pronounced? It's the easiest way for me to learn how to say words by seeing it spelt out.

I heard Anamacha but I don't think that means what I think it means lol!

So, I thought I'd come here as this always seem to be the best place for the better understanding of words and its meaning too. Thanks if you can help!!

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2022 9:57 pm 

SolasSídhe wrote:
I've been trying to look around online for a while, and theirs lots of conflicting information on these terminologies in Irish. I know Anam Chara isn't real about two lovers and is more friends or spiritual connection of some sort. And theirs a few different meanings I've come across for Eternal Love - Mo Shíorghrá and Mo Bhuanghrá, which I don't know how to pronounce.

I'm writing some fictional stories and I need something that is very similar to what souls mates or two people who are destined for each, if theirs something very close or almost close enough to have the same meaning but an Irish word for it. Does anyone know? And how is it pronounced? It's the easiest way for me to learn how to say words by seeing it spelt out.

I heard Anamacha but I don't think that means what I think it means lol!

So, I thought I'd come here as this always seem to be the best place for the better understanding of words and its meaning too. Thanks if you can help!!

If you're writing fiction, you may need to look up the difference between "theirs" and "there's" (and, indeed, "there are").

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2022 2:36 pm 

SolasSídhe wrote:
I'm writing some fictional stories and I need something that is very similar to what souls mates or two people who are destined for each

There isn't really a term along those lines. "Destined lovers" wasn't a prominent concept in Gaelic literature. However for people deeply in love there are the phrases:
Mo ghrá go daingean tu = You are my true love
and
Mo shearc tu = You are my love
and
A shearc mo chroí = Oh Love of my heart!

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:17 pm 

Quote:
[Some very ignorant and offensive posts have been deleted from this topic, so that no learners are led astray. Note that djwebb's posts below were commenting on those deleted comments - not on the translations offered above.]

This is all as wrong as wrong can be - total gibberish. Why don't you learn Irish first?

PostPosted: Mon 08 Aug 2022 9:18 pm 

Quote:
[The very ignorant and offensive posts have been deleted from this topic, so that no learners are led astray]

Well, you don't have any Irish - so if it has rhythm, you wouldn't know. You certainly cannot put any sentences together!