All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Tattoo translation
PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2022 6:13 am 

Hi!

Im looking for a tattoo translation for the following meanings:

1. second home/home from home
2. feeling of being home (like being happy and feeling comfortable in a place that isnt your actual home)

Any help and opinions much appreciated.

Thanks a mill!

Post subject: Re: Tattoo translation
PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2022 12:13 pm 

There are words and ways to express what you have given but to get closer to what you actually want, could you explain more?
Like would "Although I am far away from home, I feel at home here" or "Even when I am far away from home, I feel at home" or "I feel at home wherever I am" express what you are thinking.

There is a word "athbhaile" for "second home" but as a tattoo I don't think it would be good or make much sense without context.
You could personalize it and say "M'athbhaile" - My second home - but what does that mean?

Let us know what you are driving at, amigo. :)

Tim

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr 2022 12:31 pm 

Hi Tim,

thanks for your response!

So here's the story:
Im not irish but have lived in Ireland for some time and just try to come back and visit whenever I can.
I just love everything about the country and it def feels like a second home to me.

I've been thinking a lot and for a long time about getting a tattoo with an irish gaelic word or sentence which expresses this feeling im having about Ireland or when being in Ireland (just happy out and feeling very comfortable being in Ireland, trying to come back whenever i can,..).

But as a tattoo is forever the correct spelling and meaning should def be correct.

Hope you'll get my point :-)

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2022 7:52 am 

mabo wrote:
Hi Tim,

thanks for your response!

So here's the story:
Im not irish but have lived in Ireland for some time and just try to come back and visit whenever I can.
I just love everything about the country and it def feels like a second home to me.

I've been thinking a lot and for a long time about getting a tattoo with an irish gaelic word or sentence which expresses this feeling im having about Ireland or when being in Ireland (just happy out and feeling very comfortable being in Ireland, trying to come back whenever i can,..).

But as a tattoo is forever the correct spelling and meaning should def be correct.

Hope you'll get my point :-)

Clear as mud. :D

Let me think about this a bit and get back to you.
Others will chime in as well, I hope.
Usually, we try to come to some consensus on
a good translation, especially for a tattoo.
Also, since you go to Ireland often, ask people
who know the language and see what they offer.
You can post what they give you here and it may
help to come up with something really nice or it
may supplant what I or others translate.

Cheers

Tim

PostPosted: Thu 14 Apr 2022 12:01 pm 

Hi Mabo,

I had a friend called "Mabo" (nickname) that passed away last year. I was kind of surprised to see that name come up. :)

I could get into all the reasons I came up with the following idea if you're curious but to make it simple, let's say I just
thought this might express what you want:

Táim ar mo nós féin in Éirinn. It's basically standard for "Ireland is my home (away) from home."

I also thought you could add "i bhfad ó bhaile" meaning "far away (from my home)" but that makes it longer. I tend to like short
phrases.

Táim ar mo nós féin in Éirinn i bhfad ó bhaile. I guess it could "literally" be translated as "I am on my own style/way/custom in Ireland far from home."

Another possibility is "Is Í Éire m'athbhaile." > Ireland is my (second) home.

I hope some others will chime in on these and give their opinions or offerings, blessings . . .

Have you thought about design yet? A lot of people use an uncial font and some tattoos have designs from the "Book of Kells"
or other old texts. Look around and see what you like.

Also, don't forget to ask Irish friends or artist friends and so on to help you get a murderous tattoo.

Cheers,

Tim