It is currently Tue 21 Sep 2021 7:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Song Lyrics into Gaelic
PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep 2021 3:50 pm 

Hello I am trying to translate the below sentence to Gaelic can anyone confirm if the translation is correct?

I felt your heart so close to mine and i knew our joy would fill the earth and last until the end of time my love.

Bhraith mé do chroí chomh gar do mhianach agus bhí a fhios agam go ndéanfadh ár n-áthas an domhan a líonadh agus go deireanach go dtí deireadh an ama mo ghrá

Thank you in advance.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep 2021 7:21 pm 

tanckb wrote:
Hello I am trying to translate the below sentence to Gaelic can anyone confirm if the translation is correct?

I felt your heart so close to mine and i knew our joy would fill the earth and last until the end of time my love.

Bhraith mé do chroí chomh gar do mhianach agus bhí a fhios agam go ndéanfadh ár n-áthas an domhan a líonadh agus go deireanach go dtí deireadh an ama mo ghrá

Thank you in advance.

No, it isn’t. It is funny because of misleading "literal" translation.

mianach = "mine", yes, but a mine (ore or coal) or a landmine (mine in the sense of my one = mo cheann)
go deireanach = "last", yes, but in the meaning of late. It is not a verb (the verb is mair = last, mairfeadh = would last, go mairfeadh sé = that it [=the joy] would last)

And further more:
that our joy would fill the earth = go líonfadh ár n-áthas an domhan
mo ghrá: no "mo" in addressing in Irish (correct: , a ghrá = (my) love)

PostPosted: Fri 10 Sep 2021 9:02 pm 

Thank you Labhras. Thats what happens when you use a translation website! So if I replace the words you have pointed out with the correct ones you have provided it would be correct?

PostPosted: Sat 11 Sep 2021 8:52 am 

Labhrás wrote:
tanckb wrote:

Thank you in advance.

mianach = "mine", yes, but a mine (ore or coal) or a landmine (mine in the sense of my one = mo cheann)
go deireanach = "last", yes, but in the meaning of late. It is not a verb (the verb is mair = last, mairfeadh = would last, go mairfeadh sé = that it [=the joy] would last)

And further more:

So should it be more like the below?

Bhraith mé do chroí chomh gar do mo cheann agus bhí a fhios agam go ndéanfadh ár n-áthas an domhan a líonadh agus go mairfeadh sé go dtí deireadh an ama a ghrá

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon 13 Sep 2021 4:48 am 

tanckb wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
tanckb wrote:

Thank you in advance.

And further more:

Bhraith mé do chroí chomh gar do mo cheann agus bhí a fhios agam go ndéanfadh ár n-áthas an domhan a líonadh agus go mairfeadh sé go dtí deireadh an ama a ghrá

Thanks

Bhraith mé do chroíse chomh gar sin do mo chroíse

sin is necessary here for "so near" (chomh gar without any point of reference is rather an anglicism)
mo chroíse for contrast (do ... mo ...).
I'd use croí twice (do chroíse ... mo chroíse) instead of mo cheann(sa) ("mine") because ceann means literally "head" and could be understood as such here. ("your heart next to my head")

agus bhí a fhios agam go líonfadh ár n-áthas an domhan

I don't know why you used a somewhat clumsy construction as "our joy makes the world to fill".
Simple "líonfadh ár n-áthas" will do better. (déanfadh ... is prob. even wrong bc. the joy not only causes the filling of the world but the world is filled with it.

agus go mairfeadh sé go deireadh an ama, a ghrá.

rather go than go dtí, I'd say.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep 2021 4:27 am 

Labhrás wrote:
tanckb wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
tanckb wrote:

Thank you in advance.

And further more:

Thanks

Bhraith mé do chroíse chomh gar sin do mo chroíse

sin is necessary here for "so near" (chomh gar without any point of reference is rather an anglicism)
mo chroíse for contrast (do ... mo ...).
I'd use croí twice (do chroíse ... mo chroíse) instead of mo cheann(sa) ("mine") because ceann means literally "head" and could be understood as such here. ("your heart next to my head")

agus bhí a fhios agam go líonfadh ár n-áthas an domhan

I don't know why you used a somewhat clumsy construction as "our joy makes the world to fill".
Simple "líonfadh ár n-áthas" will do better. (déanfadh ... is prob. even wrong bc. the joy not only causes the filling of the world but the world is filled with it.

agus go mairfeadh sé go deireadh an ama, a ghrá.

rather go than go dtí, I'd say.

Looks good to me. :D