It is currently Tue 21 Sep 2021 7:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat 28 Aug 2021 10:49 pm 

I am looking for help spelling an Irish-inspired name for my soon to be born daughter.
My spouse and I had origionally liked the name Aislinn - fell in love with the way we thought it was pronounced. Our understanding is it actually sounds like "ash-lin".

We would like to use an Irish spelling, and want her name to sound "ay z lin" (like the "aise" in mayonnaise followed by lin). Would anyone please let me know if that is possible and if so, what the spelling would be?

Thank you for reviewing this odd request!

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2021 3:24 am 

IrishBabyMama wrote:
I am looking for help spelling an Irish-inspired name for my soon to be born daughter.
My spouse and I had origionally liked the name Aislinn - fell in love with the way we thought it was pronounced. Our understanding is it actually sounds like "ash-lin".

We would like to use an Irish spelling, and want her name to sound "ay z lin" (like the "aise" in mayonnaise followed by lin). Would anyone please let me know if that is possible and if so, what the spelling would be?

The Irish name is: Aisling
Meaning dream or vision.

Ais - pronounced as "ash", as in "ash from a volcano".
and "ling" with the "ing" sounding like the "ing" in "ring".

PostPosted: Sun 29 Aug 2021 10:37 am 

IrishBabyMama wrote:
We would like to use an Irish spelling, and want her name to sound "ay z lin"

That is impossible because there is (almost) no z-sound in Irish.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Sep 2021 3:30 pm 

Thank you. This was helpful. What if we wanted to use an 's' sound, instead of a z?

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep 2021 2:06 pm 

IrishBabyMama wrote:
Thank you. This was helpful. What if we wanted to use an 's' sound, instead of a z?

There's also no s-sound in Aisling. /Ash-ling/.

Aslaing /ass-ling/ makes no sense.

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2021 9:02 am 

Hi you can hear how it sounds here - sound like the g is silent across all three dialects so ash-leen.

Its a beautiful name for a baby girl as it is with an enchanting meaning !

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/aisling

Fáilte mhór roimpi an leanbh nua ! - a big welcome to the little baby girl !!

Sláinte agus adh mór !

PostPosted: Sun 05 Sep 2021 10:38 am 

Ssalzano wrote:
Hi you can hear how it sounds here - sound like the g is silent across all three dialects so ash-leen.

Its a beautiful name for a baby girl as it is with an enchanting meaning !

https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/aisling

No, g is not silent. The digraph -ng- has its own sound, /ŋ/ or /ŋ´/
And this sound is in all three files on https://www.teanglann.ie/en/fuaim/aisling

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep 2021 4:50 am 

IrishBabyMama wrote:

You can use the spelling Aislinn and pronounce it any way you want. It seems a lot of people do that these days.

But using Irish orthography, if you wanted to reflect the pronunciation you are looking for (with the "s" sound) maybe spelling it "Éaslainn" would work.

PostPosted: Tue 14 Sep 2021 1:04 pm 

tiomluasocein wrote:
IrishBabyMama wrote:

You can use the spelling Aislinn and pronounce it any way you want. It seems a lot of people do that these days.

But using Irish orthography, if you wanted to reflect the pronunciation you are looking for (with the "s" sound) maybe spelling it "Éaslainn" would work.

Yes she can write and pronounce it any way she likes. But it won't be an Irish name and it won't be Irish pronunciation.

Éaslainn - I'd be wary of that. It might look to some people that you misspelt "easláin" (especially if you leave the accent off the E) which means sick or handicapped people (plural).

PostPosted: Thu 16 Sep 2021 3:08 am 

Thank you both for the additional input!