It is currently Wed 22 Sep 2021 5:51 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: ~All these phrases~
PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul 2021 6:51 pm 

Hello all!
I've been deep diving into the Teanglann website and have been particularly taken by all the phrases, especially when looking at the individual words that make up the phrases. Based on your experiences with that database, would most of them be literary and not quite used in real life, or are some in use or at least able to be used and would sound relatively normal?
(I've copy pasted a few).
And thank you all for having devoted such time and discipline into the language!

Bain ó uait féin - idiomatically translated "calm down," literally translated it seems to be a bit more poetic along the lines of removing oneself, which seems to point to remembering oneself in the midst of a heated moment?

Ná ceilt an fhírinne orm (also saw this one ending with uaim instead of orm somewhere) - along the lines of "don't hide the truth from me", so easier to English ears would translate to "tell me the truth?"

Chion féin den ag obair a dheannamh (and a couple of similar offshoots) - carry one's weight/do one's fair share. Translated via machine, this guy acts a little funky and I love it.

Cén chiall atá leis an bhfocal sin? - "What does that word mean?" - but literally would it be translated "which meaning goes with that word?" (I know this sentence is very simple, but learning the differences in how things are literally translated helps lessen mistakes imo)

Féach le cuidiú liom - Teanglann says it's "try and help me," but literally it's along the lines of "see if you are able to help me," right? Would this sentence be seen in an eager sort of way, or a more hopeless sort of way, both, neither?

Chuaigh siad i gcochaill a chéile - to argue with each other, but literally it seems to mean get in each other's hoods, sort of like in English "to get under someone's skin," maybe? This one is my favorite.

Any and all of feedback and input is wildly appreciated, thank you! Apologies for any errors, I'm sure that there are a few XD

Post subject: Re: ~All these phrases~
PostPosted: Sat 10 Jul 2021 8:18 pm 

LJCesco wrote:
Bain ó uait féin - idiomatically translated "calm down," literally translated it seems to be a bit more poetic along the lines of removing oneself, which seems to point to remembering oneself in the midst of a heated moment?

Bain uait féin
(uait = ó + tú)

Quote:
Ná ceilt an fhírinne orm (also saw this one ending with uaim instead of orm somewhere) - along the lines of "don't hide the truth from me", so easier to English ears would translate to "tell me the truth?"

Ná ceil an fhírinne orm
(ceil - imperative, ceilt - verbal noun)

Quote:
Chion féin den ag obair a dheannamh (and a couple of similar offshoots) - carry one's weight/do one's fair share. Translated via machine, this guy acts a little funky and I love it.

Do chion féin a dhéanamh doing your own share
Mo chion den obair my share of the work

Quote:
Cén chiall atá leis an bhfocal sin? - "What does that word mean?" - but literally would it be translated "which meaning goes with that word?" (I know this sentence is very simple, but learning the differences in how things are literally translated helps lessen mistakes imo)

Féach le cuidiú liom - Teanglann says it's "try and help me," but literally it's along the lines of "see if you are able to help me," right?

Probably so.
féach le means "try", lit. "look in order to" (le with verbal nouns means "in order to")
there's also féach(aint) an ... to see whether ..., to find out if

Post subject: Re: ~All these phrases~
PostPosted: Wed 28 Jul 2021 3:42 pm 

Thank you for your feedback, Labhrás!