It is currently Wed 21 Apr 2021 1:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2021 10:26 pm 

I have a tattoo idea that I am pursuing and wish to translate the phrase "spill blood not whisky". The tattoo itself is not an irish tattoo but something personal which is part of the reason id like the phrase to be translated to Irish. As for a dialect preference, I am not sure. My family comes from Cork so i would assume Munster Irish would be appropriate. Thank you for any help, I'm unsure if I will get the tattoo yet but I would still like to translate the phrase. At the very least I will learn something.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2021 5:54 am 

I'm not sure about a literal direct translation like "Doirt fuil ná uisce beatha" although it may be alright.

"It's better to spill blood than whiskey" fits a pattern that you see in Irish often, translated as follows:

"Is fearr fuil a dhoirteadh ná uisce beatha." Or would "Is fearr fuil ná uisce beatha a dhoirteadh" be better? (I prefer this but I would like some other comments on it.)

"uisce beatha" (whiskey) has an alternative "fuisce" although I'm not sure of the usage in this case. It seems interchangeable but let's wait for some commentary from others before you decide to get inked.

Cheers,

Tim

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2021 10:48 am 

tiomluasocein wrote:
I'm not sure about a literal direct translation like "Doirt fuil ná uisce beatha" although it may be alright.

I don't think "ná" is correct here.
B'fhéidir: Doirt fuil seachas uisce beatha

tiomluasocein wrote:
"It's better to spill blood than whiskey" fits a pattern that you see in Irish often, translated as follows:

"Is fearr fuil a dhoirteadh ná uisce beatha." Or would "Is fearr fuil ná uisce beatha a dhoirteadh" be better? (I prefer this but I would like some other comments on it.)

I'd prefer the first: Is fearr fuil a dhoirteadh ná uisce beatha (a dhoirteadh).

tiomluasocein wrote:
"uisce beatha" (whiskey) has an alternative "fuisce" although I'm not sure of the usage in this case. It seems interchangeable but let's wait for some commentary from others before you decide to get inked.

I like the alliteration: fuil vs. fuisce.
So I'd use it:

Doirt fuil seachas fuisce.
Is fearr fuil a dhoirteadh ná fuisce. (3 "f" even better)

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2021 3:14 pm 

Thank you for the responses.

understanding that what we say or how we say it in english doesn't always translate directly to another language, which of these would be the more Irish way of saying.

I saw this phrase on a shirt and it resonated with me. I am a US servicemen and have lived a warriors ethos for the last decade. I am no stranger to a fight. Also, a glass of whisky is one of my favorite pleasures in life. Weathers its on the back deck with a book in hand and good cigar, or with a good friend and story to share, or watching my son run and play, I usually have a glass in hand. the phrase will be paired with a skull and crossbones with the skull wearing a Union union forage cap with green boxwood. green boxwood was traditional for soldiers of the NY Irish brigade to wear on their hats into battle. hopeful a clear understanding of the tattoo will help find the right translation.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2021 7:25 pm 

I like the alliteration too.

It has a nice ring to it.

PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2021 7:45 pm 

Labhrás wrote:
Doirt fuil seachas uisce beatha

Is fearr fuil a dhoirteadh ná uisce beatha (a dhoirteadh).

I like the alliteration: fuil vs. fuisce.
So I'd use it:

Is fearr fuil a dhoirteadh ná fuisce.

Bríd Mhór wrote:
I like the alliteration too.

It has a nice ring to it.

Thanks for your comments. Then I would also go with

Doirt fuil seachas fuisce unless the poster wants the longer version.

Cheers,

Tim