It is currently Wed 21 Apr 2021 2:43 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2021 4:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 190
Trying to say "The capital of Northern Ireland is Belfast".

I believe that is : Is é Beal Feirste an príomhchathair Tuaiscirt Éireann.

Since this involves the copula and the genitive, I'm not betting on myself having that right. And I'm pretty sure I left out a fada somewhere.
But then again, I might have actually said "Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland".

Help?? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun 07 Mar 2021 11:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1414
Vitaee wrote:
Trying to say "The capital of Northern Ireland is Belfast".

I believe that is : Is é Beal Feirste an príomhchathair Tuaiscirt Éireann.


Is é Béal Feirste príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann.

- no article with príomhchathair because Tuisceart Éireann follows (a definite noun phrase)
- no genitive form of Tuisceart because Éireann follows (a definite noun)
- lenition of Tuisceart because it is definite.

Quote:
But then again, I might have actually said "Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland".


There's no difference.
Béal Feirste as a proper name always comes first. Only intonation and context may help to differ:

Cad é príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann? - Is é Béal Feirste príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann. (B.F. as predicate)
Cad é an rud é Béal Feirste? - Is é Béal Feirste príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann. (B.F. as subject)


If you change the order (i.e.: Is í p.T.É (ná) B.F.) the sentence rather means: "What the capital of N.I. is, is: Belfast"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon 08 Mar 2021 6:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu 01 Sep 2011 11:36 pm
Posts: 423
Labhrás wrote:
Vitaee wrote:
Trying to say "The capital of Northern Ireland is Belfast".

I believe that is : Is é Beal Feirste an príomhchathair Tuaiscirt Éireann.


Is é Béal Feirste príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann.

- no article with príomhchathair because Tuisceart Éireann follows (a definite noun phrase)
- no genitive form of Tuisceart because Éireann follows (a definite noun)
- lenition of Tuisceart because it is definite.

Quote:
But then again, I might have actually said "Belfast is the capital of Northern Ireland".


There's no difference.
Béal Feirste as a proper name always comes first. Only intonation and context may help to differ:

Cad é príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann? - Is é Béal Feirste príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann. (B.F. as predicate)
Cad é an rud é Béal Feirste? - Is é Béal Feirste príomhchathair Thuisceart Éireann. (B.F. as subject)


If you change the order (i.e.: Is í p.T.É (ná) B.F.) the sentence rather means: "What the capital of N.I. is, is: Belfast"


Excellent explanation!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 50 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group