It is currently Sat 06 Mar 2021 2:44 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2021 2:12 pm 

Hi, I am an Australian of Irish descent. My father pleaded with me to remember my Irish heritage. My daughter's wedding is coming up soon. When my older brother's daughter was married he said something to her during his speech in Irish that a member of this forum helped me to understand. Now I would like to say a sentence in Irish Gaelic for my daughter. "You will always be my little girl, I will protect you with my life." Could somebody please help me to learn how to say that properly? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue 02 Feb 2021 2:47 pm 

The Fox wrote:
Hi, I am an Australian of Irish descent. My father pleaded with me to remember my Irish heritage. My daughter's wedding is coming up soon. When my older brother's daughter was married he said something to her during his speech in Irish that a member of this forum helped me to understand. Now I would like to say a sentence in Irish Gaelic for my daughter. "You will always be my little girl, I will protect you with my life." Could somebody please help me to learn how to say that properly? Thanks

PLEASE wait for additional input from someone else, as I am still very much a beginner, but....

"You will always be my little girl" == Mo ghirseach bheag is ea a bheidh ann go brách

Note: The literal translation of "always" is i gcónaí, but go brach (forever) seems like a better fit for what you're saying.

"I will protect you with my life" == Cosnóidh mé tú le mo shaol

Hopefully, you'll get more input. If someone offers an entirely different translation, you should probably go with theirs.

BTW, I welcome all criticism of my above attempt.

And congrats on your daughter's wedding.

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2021 8:08 am 

Vitaee wrote:
"You will always be my little girl" == Mo ghirseach bheag is ea a bheidh ann go brách

not "ea" (because mo ghirseach is definite), not "ann" (because the girl is feminine & female, -> "inti" [in her])
Mo ghirseach bheag a bheidh inti go brách = She will be my little girl ...
(Mo ghirseach bheag a bheidh ann could be used for "There will be my little girl")

But you should address her, so "ionat" [in you]

Mo ghirseach bheag a bheidh ionat go brách = You will be my little girl ...

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2021 4:55 pm 

I will protect you with my life - Cosnóidh mé le mo bheatha thú
I think 'bheatha' is more apt here than 'shaol'.

The Fox, do you know where in Ireland your father was from?

If Bríd Mhór (a native speaker) sees your post, she might do you a soundfile, otherwise Labhrás or I can do you an approximate pronunciation guide.

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2021 9:26 pm 

Thanks to those kind members helping me out. My ancestors are from County Cork, (Kelleher country). A soundfile would be great but otherwise I might have to ask for help with phonetics. Just for info, I picked the song My Little Girl for the father/daughter wedding dance. If I can get through the dance part without injuring one of us then a bit of Gaelic shouldn't be a problem. Cheers

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2021 8:12 pm 

Sorry if I sound a bit wheezy.

Cosnóidh mé le mo bheatha thú = I will protect you with my life

Mo ghirseach bheag a bheidh ionat go brách = You will be my little girl forever

https://app.box.com/s/qg3o9iyh4apqgxb1ts7mumifnx5k6v7v

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2021 8:31 pm 

Hi Brid, thank you so much for the sound file and for breaking it down into words for me. I've got no excuse for stuffing it up now. Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Feb 2021 11:38 pm 

The Fox wrote:
Hi Brid, thank you so much for the sound file and for breaking it down into words for me. I've got no excuse for stuffing it up now. Cheers.

You're very welcome. :)