It is currently Wed 20 Jan 2021 8:39 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon 28 Dec 2020 11:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 173
I know that "It was raining last night" would be:

Bhí sé ag cur báistí aréir.

But how would I say "It was raining and thundering last night"? My guess is:

Bhí sé ag cur báisti agus toirní aréir.

I know I could convey the same message in different ways, for instance:

"It was raining with thunder last night" == Bhí sé ag cur báistí le toirneach aréir
"There was rain and thunder last night"== Bhí báisteach agus toirneach aréir

How many of the above are correct, and are there any better ways of saying this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1362
Vitaee wrote:
I know that "It was raining last night" would be:

Bhí sé ag cur báistí aréir.

But how would I say "It was raining and thundering last night"? My guess is:

Bhí sé ag cur báisti agus toirní aréir.


This ("ag cur ... agus toirní") means it was "ag cur toirní" but you use rather déanamh instead of cur with toirneach.

So: Bhí sé ag cur báistí agus ag déanamh toirní aréir.

And simple toirneach can be used, too:

So: Bhí sé ag cur báistí agus ag toirneach aréir.

Quote:
"There was rain and thunder last night"== Bhí báisteach agus toirneach aréir

I'd put ann in there:

Bhí báisteach agus toirneach ann aréir


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue 29 Dec 2020 9:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed 16 Nov 2016 11:12 pm
Posts: 173
Labhrás wrote:
Vitaee wrote:
I know that "It was raining last night" would be:

Bhí sé ag cur báistí aréir.

But how would I say "It was raining and thundering last night"? My guess is:

Bhí sé ag cur báisti agus toirní aréir.


This ("ag cur ... agus toirní") means it was "ag cur toirní" but you use rather déanamh instead of cur with toirneach.

So: Bhí sé ag cur báistí agus ag déanamh toirní aréir.


So, rain is "put" and thunder is "done". Ok, got that.

Labhrás wrote:
And simple toirneach can be used, too:

So: Bhí sé ag cur báistí agus ag toirneach aréir.

Quote:
"There was rain and thunder last night"== Bhí báisteach agus toirneach aréir

I'd put ann in there:

Bhí báisteach agus toirneach ann aréir


Ah, the good ol' existential "ann". How could I forget about that.

Thanks.
:GRMA:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed 30 Dec 2020 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat 03 May 2014 4:01 pm
Posts: 1362
Vitaee wrote:
Labhrás wrote:
Vitaee wrote:
I know that "It was raining last night" would be:

Bhí sé ag cur báistí aréir.

But how would I say "It was raining and thundering last night"? My guess is:

Bhí sé ag cur báisti agus toirní aréir.


This ("ag cur ... agus toirní") means it was "ag cur toirní" but you use rather déanamh instead of cur with toirneach.

So: Bhí sé ag cur báistí agus ag déanamh toirní aréir.


So, rain is "put" and thunder is "done". Ok, got that.


Thunder can be "thrown" as well: ... ag caitheamh toirní acc. to Foclóir Uí Dhónail


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Megan and 108 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group