It is currently Wed 20 Jan 2021 7:10 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec 2020 2:23 am 

My wife and I are (finally) able to purchase a home of our own and want to give it a proper name.
We've got a family saying that is "Love you more than a pine tree" which is quite long. It was the biggest thing my wife could think of as a child when trying to convey her love for her family.

Obviously, that phrase it quite long, so we've been playing around with shorter variations that refer to family and trees.

I want to confirm our translations are correct.

Teaghlach = Family
Coille = Wood
or is it Coillte?

We were thinking of combining these two words to say Family Forest as a nod to the future children that our children may have.

We were also playing around with:
Teaghlach Crann
but not sure if that actually means
Family Tree
This was the phrase that we were initially thinking of using.
We could also go with Pine Tree, but I am not sure that the word for Pine is something we want to use.

Any tips for the translation?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue 08 Dec 2020 11:35 pm 

obiwayne wrote:
My wife and I are (finally) able to purchase a home of our own and want to give it a proper name.
We've got a family saying that is "Love you more than a pine tree" which is quite long. It was the biggest thing my wife could think of as a child when trying to convey her love for her family.

Obviously, that phrase it quite long, so we've been playing around with shorter variations that refer to family and trees.

I want to confirm our translations are correct.

Teaghlach = Family
Coille = Wood
or is it Coillte?

We were thinking of combining these two words to say Family Forest as a nod to the future children that our children may have.

We were also playing around with:
Teaghlach Crann
but not sure if that actually means
Family Tree
This was the phrase that we were initially thinking of using.
We could also go with Pine Tree, but I am not sure that the word for Pine is something we want to use.

Any tips for the translation?

Thanks!

According to Fergus Kelly in his "Early Irish Farming", 1997, page 380 "pine" along with oak, hazel, holly, yew, ash, and apple was known as one of the airig fedo, "nobles of the wood", so you could reconsider using it knowing this. Maybe "Crann Péine" or "The Pine Tree" > "An Crann Péine".

"Family tree" can be translated in a variety of ways depending on the sense you want to get across. First of all, the adjective (or noun used as an adjective in this case) comes after the noun. And there is a morphological change that occurs in the adjective to show it's proper form. So you would have

Crann Teaghlaigh

But I always like to use the article and you see this in place names quite often: Tree of the Family.

Crann an Teaghlaigh

Family can be translated in different ways according to whether it's the immediate one or the extended one. Teaghlach is good for immediate family but if you want something more widespread, "muintir" or "clann" would be better: viz. ...na Muintire, ...na Clainne. But I think you want the immediate meaning, so as I translated above.

Also, Coillte/Foraoise Teaghlaigh or Coillte/Foraoise an Teaghlaigh, i.e. Family Woods/Forest

I think you can see there are a few other permutations possible. Write back if you have any new ideas or questions.

And please wait for more ideas and input before you decide anything for sure.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed 09 Dec 2020 7:42 pm 

Wow, that was way more detailed than I could have hoped for.
I took French in high school, so figured it might be noun first.

Thanks for your response!

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec 2020 9:50 pm 

No problemo. Wait for more ideas though.