It is currently Mon 18 Jan 2021 4:40 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2020 12:46 am 

Greetings to all from Canada. My wife and I are looking to get some tattoos for our daughter Blakelyn (sounds like BLAKE-LYNN) Emerson O'Reilly. She's had 1 successful heart surgery and requires two more before she turns 1. I appreciate any help for the following translations. I understand that this name is rather unique and not sure how one would translate it phonetically or otherwise. Any help with any of the following would be amazing

"Blakelyn"
"Emerson"
"O'Reilly"

"Unbreakable"

I am so very thankful for this resource, All the best to you and your families

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2020 3:15 am 

oreilly91 wrote:
Greetings to all from Canada. My wife and I are looking to get some tattoos for our daughter Blakelyn (sounds like BLAKE-LYNN) Emerson O'Reilly. She's had 1 successful heart surgery and requires two more before she turns 1. I appreciate any help for the following translations. I understand that this name is rather unique and not sure how one would translate it phonetically or otherwise. Any help with any of the following would be amazing

"Blakelyn"
"Emerson"
"O'Reilly"

"Unbreakable"

I am so very thankful for this resource, All the best to you and your families

O’Reilly = Ó Raghailligh, for girls: Ní Raghailligh
unbreakable = dobhriste

The other names aren't translatable, probably.

PostPosted: Sun 29 Nov 2020 11:09 pm 

Quote:
Ní Raghailligh
:good:
Quote:
dobhriste
:good:

While it's true that Blakelyn and Emerson are not Irish names, there is a basis for getting creative with the transliteration of Blakelyn, at least. There was a Blake family among the so-called "Tribes of Galway", which were families originally of non-Irish origin which settled there, intermarried, and became Gaelicized. Their surname was actually Caddell originally, but they had for some reason switched to de Bláca or le Bláca by the 14th century, the new name apparently being a form of the word "black" (in English, which was still developing as a language at the time), which was perhaps an epithet or a nickname for a particular ancestor. The name de Bláca was later "re-anglicized" as Blake. So, a creative way of rendering Blakelyn with some historical precedent could be Bláiclín [enlarged so that you can see that there are two accents in it].

Incidentally, when you take a word in one language and render it using the phonetics of another language (as many non-native-Irish families did), that's called transliteration, not translation, since you aren't actually dealing with the meaning, just the sounds. If you do base the new version on the meaning (as with Walsh/Welsh becoming Breatnach), then that would be a form of translation.

I couldn't find any record of an Emerson family in Ireland which Hibernicized their surname, but phonetically you could render it using Irish phonetics as something like Eimearson.

So, you'd have Bláiclín Eimearson Ní Raghailligh [adding the dobhriste after it].

PostPosted: Mon 30 Nov 2020 3:46 am 

Interesting and very creative. :clap:

I found a person with that very last name, Blaiclin (minus the fada). Also, his son John but no information on the source of the name unfortunately.

https://www.myheritage.jp/names/edward_ ... ol_a_30042

"Eimear" is a woman's name in Irish so that would make sense.

Blake means light in some cases, dark in others. Lynn is Welsh for "lake". Translating it might come up with something interesting but bulky. Dubhloch? Nah.