It is currently Wed 01 Apr 2020 2:06 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012 2:07 am 

Hello. My name is Mary. I was looking for a literal translation for "Family first" Family includes my husband and our children only. I know that family has different translations depending on who you choose to include. I did look over all the posts in this topic and didn't quite see what I was looking for. Thank you in advance for your time and any input. It is greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks,
Mary Dworkin (nee: McVeigh)

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012 2:24 am 

Perhaps the following would work for the context in question:

Tosach dár dteaghlach féin "Family first", literally "Precedence to our own family."

Await correction or confirmation ...

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
My "specialty" is Connemara Irish, particularly Cois Fhairrge dialect.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012 2:37 am 

Thank you Breandan for your prompt reply. This is the first complete translation I have received. I have gotten, Teaghlaigh an chead, and muintir ar dTus. I find it all very confusing lol

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012 3:32 am 

MaryMc wrote:
Thank you Breandan for your prompt reply. This is the first complete translation I have received. I have gotten, Teaghlaigh an chead, and muintir ar dTus. I find it all very confusing lol

Both "family" and "first" are actually difficult to translate into Irish, each for its own reasons.

Muintir is my usual preference for "family" but it includes a wider group of people than you are aiming for in this case. I find teaghlach a bit "official" - it is an invented word - but I am trying to "soften" it with "our".

For "first", I've used the construction that Irish uses for "Ladies first" (tosach do na mná), "women and children first" (tosach do mhná agus do pháistí). Ar dtús is also used in these contexts, i.e., "women and children first" can also be mná agus páistí ar dtús.

So, muintir ar dtús is also a possibility.

Teaghlaigh an chéad*, on the other hand, looks like something Google translate would produce. Teaghlaigh is "families" or "of a family" and an chéad is "the first" as in "first, second, third ...".

That said, Ár dteaghlach ar an gcéad "Our family (at the) first" would not be incorrect in Irish.

WARNING: Intermediate speaker - await further opinions, corrections and adjustments before acting on my advice.
Is fearr Gaeilge ḃriste ná Béarla cliste, cinnte, aċ i ḃfad níos fearr aríst í Gaeilge ḃinn ḃeo na nGaeltaċtaí.
Gaeilge Chonnacht (GC), go háraid Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (GCF), agus Gaeilge an Chaighdeáin Oifigiúil (CO).

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan 2012 10:02 pm 

Could you say - my family above all (other things)? - I'm just thinking that it might be how this idea could be expressed in Irish.

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 12:16 am 

Franc 91, I would love to see a translation for that. I appreciate the response very much!!

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 1:06 am 

franc 91 wrote:
Could you say - my family above all (other things)? - I'm just thinking that it might be how this idea could be expressed in Irish.

It is one way, yes, though not what was requested to begin with:

Mo theaghlach thar gach uile ní "My family above all things"

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 1:49 am 

You are correct Breandan. I did request "Family first". And you were so very kind to give me the proper translation which we will probably use. I just hadn't thought of adding anything to it or considering another phrase. At any rate, you are both very kind and I do appreciate you time and prompt responses Breandan so very much!!

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan 2012 2:48 am 

It is often hard to gauge how far to stray from the original but always good to know you have options available. I was caught by the "literal" in your title, but I think Franc's idea may be more natural in Irish.

Wait for more to confirm.